What's new

Ogre Battle 64 graphical problems

Zalger248

Hello. I'm new to using Progect 64, and to emulators in general, and while being able to play games from my youth is great, there are some problems I am having that are getting on my nerves. I'll go specifically into Ogre Battle 64 for this.

In some scenes, and in many battles, the background is completely black, or black with one or more graphical 'glitch lines'. I have tried using many options to try to fix this, but to no avail. And yes, I have read the help FAQs and noticed that the black background during battle cannot be fixed to anyone's knowledge.

I have also come across the odd, uncommon case of stuck sprites during battle scenes. This doesn't happen often, but causes sprites from a previous battle to appear during other battles and even during dialogue scenes.

And finally, I have tinkered with the cheats a little, and noticed that the game will freeze at certain points. I'm uncertain if this is because of the cheats or if the game itself freezes. As a sidenote, the audio keeps playing normally.

Any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated, please.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Well known issues. Had you read the GameFAQ bundled with Project64 or glansed at the Notes column in the ROM Browser, you would have known as well before creating this topic.

Use another graphics plugin, preferably Glide64 (if your graphics hardware can handle it), but don't expect it to make things perfect.

OP
Z

Zalger248

Thank you for your suggestion. As for the first part of your response, allow me to say that I had looked through the GameFAQ and seen the black background issue. I had merely assumed the stuck sprites and freezing were different issues altogether.

Agozer

As for the first part of your response, allow me to say that I had looked through the GameFAQ and seen the black background issue. I had merely assumed the stuck sprites and freezing were different issues altogether.
Very well then. Allow me to point out in turn that reading and researching (and thus learning) about any given problem is quite rare the of a trait amongst new members.

Last edited:
OP
Z

Zalger248

Understandable. Thank you, anyhow.

Also, I'm not sure if this is common, but for some reason, the Glide64 graphic plugin isn't detected by the emulator. Is there a section in the GameFAQ with instructions in regards to adding/installing third party plugins? And if not, how might I go about installing it on the emulator?

Agozer

Make sure that the Glide wrapper (Glide3x.dll) is in the Project64 folder, and not in the Plugins folder.

OP
Z

Zalger248

It's still not being detected. I'm unsure if it is a mistake on my part or if it just simply isn't compatible with the emulator. I am using Project 64 v1.6, if that helps.

Agozer

So am I. Where did you download Glide64, and did it come with a "Tester" (for testing whether your card supports a number of required features)?

What kind of graphics hardware do you have anyway?

OP
Z

Zalger248

I downloaded Glide64 from the files on this site, and I'm using an NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400 video card, I think. And yes, Glide64 came with a tester. All but the FXTI texture compression came up as 'Yes'.

Agozer

There shouldn't be any reason why Glide64 doesn't appear in the graphics plugin list, given that you have the right files in the right place. That is, if you really have all the files in the right place.

I downloaded Glide64 from the files on this site
AFAIK, the plugin archives on this site are hopelessly outdated. I could be wrong. You should always find out first and foremost if a given piece of software has an official homepage. And Glide64 certainly does. Never trust a messageboard archive to give you entirely accurate information. Paying attention to the topic dates goes a long way, too.

For the sake of being on the same page with me, download from the official Glide64 homepage (http://glide64.emuxhaven.net/), and try again.

Last edited:
OP
Z

Zalger248

Thank you a lot. I've managed to get Glide64 working for the emulator, and things seem much smoother now. Thanks again for you help.