What's new

NTFS Write no longer dangerous?

Eagle

aka Alshain
I was compiling a gentoo sources 2.4 kernel and noticed when I enabled NTFS Reading that the "WARNING: DANGEROUS" message was no longer next to NTFS write. I haven't heard any news about this, but is it possible that NTFS write support has been fixed in the new kernels?

LXS

This function should have been stable for quite long time, and the warning was disabled in consequence. Even when the warning was there I used to add NTFS write into my kernels, and never had any problems...

Jakob

evil *******
As far as I am aware, the NTFS write support only functions for NT4 NTFS partitions, not the more advanced version used by 2k/xp, even then, it only supports overwriting a file with another that is the exact same length and attributes are not changed. If you need to access linux files from windows, use explore2fs, it can read linux partitions. Another solution is captive(http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/), it uses wine to load the windows NTFS driver to do the writing.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
I was also curious about ATI Driver support. I'm thinking of upgrading my computer and getting an ATI this time but I've heard the ATI drivers arent very good. This is a primarily linux system, I only use Windows for games and it only has 20 GB of my 160 GB drive available to it.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Eagle said:
I was also curious about ATI Driver support. I'm thinking of upgrading my computer and getting an ATI this time but I've heard the ATI drivers arent very good. This is a primarily linux system, I only use Windows for games and it only has 20 GB of my 160 GB drive available to it.
ATi support is in the "good enough" stage of development. nVIDIAs support is much better but ATi still gives decent FPS in games and such.

Jakob

evil *******
Emu&Co said:
Nooooooooo. WRONG. It uses parts of ReactOS (www.reactos.com), not Wine. ReactOS ownz the future.
Whatever, I briefly skimmed over the page a while ago when I bookmarked it, anyways, I don't care. As to ReactOs, it will always be outdated and nothing more than a toy. And for future reference, "Nooooooooo. WRONG." doesn't help make your point, it makes you look like a conceited ass.

Eagle said:
Malcolm said:
ATi support is in the "good enough" stage of development. nVIDIAs support is much better but ATi still gives decent FPS in games and such.

ATI's support isn't too bad as long as you don't use xorg 6.8, basic crap works, but 3d acceleration is out of the question until ATI updates it's drivers, oddly enough, the last ATI driver release was supposed to make it work with xorg 6.8, yet, as my niece says, no dice:p

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
pAsSiVe said:
ATI's support isn't too bad as long as you don't use xorg 6.8, basic crap works, but 3d acceleration is out of the question until ATI updates it's drivers, oddly enough, the last ATI driver release was supposed to make it work with xorg 6.8, yet, as my niece says, no dice:p

Thats probably ok then cause most of the games I play, I play on Windows XP. I use linux for everything else, but games dont run that well on Linux even on Nvidia cards, even Cedega only supports the most popular of the games.