What's new

Nintendo Dual Screen Lite dead in 5 years?

A.I.

Banned
Nintendo could be killing off the DS in less than 5 years and replacing it with a new portable console, due to dwindling sales in Japan and sales success of the PSP.

The design of the new hand held is under speculation but it is said to incorperate design elements of the PSP and the Wii's motion sensing technology, including white thingy add on bits...

OK, so by now you know I'm really speaking from my ass but am I really that close to the truth?

OP
A.I.

A.I.

Banned
- REBOOT - lol, should have replaced 'ds' with 'flash cart' in thread title, the way things going flash cart is going the way of the Dodo... First R4 bites the dust now looks like Cyclo Evo is gonna the same way, sob... :(

Cyberman

You mean the Game cartridge?
That means they used REALLY cheap memory devices.
10-year data retention (typical) on NOR type MLC flash.
5 year on NAND type.
Non multilevel flash goes to 40 years and some memory is rated as much as 100 or better years. You get what you pay for. Nintendo announced it working with a company (about 8 years ago) on flash memory devices for carts after the Glam boy advance was out and the N64 was waning. Obviously they were working on the DS. Things to point out, although multilevel devices increase density they also have a significantly shorter life. (1/4 to 1/8). EPROM devices used in games during the 70's are still good today (and use able).
They used CHEAP stuff to honest.

Most SD cards are rated 10 years some as much as 20 years.

Cyb