What's new

New user with difficulties running DC games(have searched and read FAQs)

AZMR240SX

Hello, and thank you for reading my post despite the volume of similar posts out there. I miss my Dreamcast(still have the console, controllers and several games, but I lost my A/V cable during a move so can't use it).

I have been trying to get Chankast set up all day today, with some success. This computer is an Athlon XP2200 or so, with 512MB DDR RAM, a 128MB ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, and a generic $7.99 sound card. I am using Chankast alpha .25, Daemon Tools 4.08 as VCD software, and Alcohol 120 to copy images(from my own genuine Dreamcast discs). I've copied Sega GT and Metropolis Street Racer - two of my favorite games and the first ones I found - to .mds files. I have set Chankast to use ASPI drivers(4.60, downloaded from Adaptec through a link on the FAQ). I have removed the read-only attribute from all files. The BIOS is v1.01d, 1998 US.

My problem is this: when I mount an image and run Chankast, I get the audio-disc screen. At first I was delighted with this since it was progress, but I'm growing tired of it... I read further down the FAQ and the Utopia boot disk was suggested, I downloaded an archive with three versions(1.1, 1.3, 1.5) and have tried 1.3 and 1.5. Both boot successfully, but nothing happens when I eject the virtual tray and mount my Sega GT or MSR image. There is a controller button combination(I believe both the triggers and the start key) which makes the emulator hang at this point, but otherwise nothing has any effect. When I "Reset" Chankast I get only a white screen, not even the audio-disc menu.

Forgive my inexperience, all of my Dreamcast games are store-bought and I have never had a need for a boot disk, so there might be something simple I'm overlooking. *Any* ideas or input would be gratefully received.

Thank you!
- Ben

Dark Mits

Eternal Darkness
Wow, I must say that I wouldn't expect someone who has managed to do the above to be facing difficulties. Anyway, I'm not 100% positive whether the following will help you. Maybe the problem is with Daemon Tools. Versions above the 3.29 are said to be somewhat incompatible (but that was with the .cdi format) with Chankast. Either downgrade your Daemon Tools (uninstall -> restart -> install older version -> restart) or use another virtual drive application to load your images. Again, I'm not certain this will help. I haven't tried creating CD-backups from my DC.
The audio disc screen is what everyone gets who uses Daemon Tools above 3.29 with the .cdi format. I don't know however if that applies to other formats as well.

Side note: 4.08? Damn, I'm still at 4.06.

SiR.DiGiTaL

Hello, and thank you for reading my post despite the volume of similar posts out there. I miss my Dreamcast(still have the console, controllers and several games, but I lost my A/V cable during a move so can't use it).

I have been trying to get Chankast set up all day today, with some success. This computer is an Athlon XP2200 or so, with 512MB DDR RAM, a 128MB ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, and a generic $7.99 sound card. I am using Chankast alpha .25, Daemon Tools 4.08 as VCD software, and Alcohol 120 to copy images(from my own genuine Dreamcast discs). I've copied Sega GT and Metropolis Street Racer - two of my favorite games and the first ones I found - to .mds files. I have set Chankast to use ASPI drivers(4.60, downloaded from Adaptec through a link on the FAQ). I have removed the read-only attribute from all files. The BIOS is v1.01d, 1998 US.

My problem is this: when I mount an image and run Chankast, I get the audio-disc screen. At first I was delighted with this since it was progress, but I'm growing tired of it... I read further down the FAQ and the Utopia boot disk was suggested, I downloaded an archive with three versions(1.1, 1.3, 1.5) and have tried 1.3 and 1.5. Both boot successfully, but nothing happens when I eject the virtual tray and mount my Sega GT or MSR image. There is a controller button combination(I believe both the triggers and the start key) which makes the emulator hang at this point, but otherwise nothing has any effect. When I "Reset" Chankast I get only a white screen, not even the audio-disc menu.

Forgive my inexperience, all of my Dreamcast games are store-bought and I have never had a need for a boot disk, so there might be something simple I'm overlooking. *Any* ideas or input would be gratefully received.

Thank you!
- Ben

I´m having the exact same thing here, when I mount an image and run Chankast, I get the audio-disc screen. The only diffrence is that when I boot up with Utopia and then mount the game iso I get a ioContol Error window. I´ve tried with ChankastAlpha025, ChankEx147, Chankast0257beta and same thing all the time :-/ I tried many diffrent game iso´s now to see if I get one to work but with no luck.

~DiGiTaL~

Dark Mits

Eternal Darkness
SiR.DiGiTaL, what version of Daemon Tools do you use? You should know by now that 3.29 is the most suitable for Chankast, whatever version (0257 beta?) Your problem pretty much screams that you are using a newer version.