What's new

New to the whole DC Emularion

Diyakov

Hello, I've used emulators for homebrew and non homebrew :)o), for many years. Yet I don't understand how the dreamcast emulation works.

Like, I have chankast, I have a Bios, but how do I run a .iso file on it?
Most emulators are a drag and drop idea, but I don't understand how this works.

Could someone help me?

Thanks.

(PS: I put this in the chankast forum, as I am using chankast as the DC emulator.)

(Edit 2: I also need help on how to burn them to a CD, and how to get the DC to recognize them)

If any of the above is/are not allowed to be dicussed here, just tell me.

Last edited:

squeakypants

You need to use a virtual drive to mount the ISO. The easiest and free-est is daemon-tools (google it).

To use backups on DC, you need to either patch them (download patchers online) or use a boot disc.

OP
D

Diyakov

What do you mean bootdisk?
Like, I heard if I put in a real DC game like, Sonic Adventure, and then once it spins up, I take it out, and put the .iso disk, it will work.
Is that true?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Boot disc, as in say, Utopia Bootdisc. You boot that, and when it tells you to switch discs, you do exactly that and switch in your game disc.

Drag and Dropping files does not work in Chankast, and if it did, it would have probably been implemented very poorly. Like squeaky mentioned, you need a Virtual CD software like Daemon Tools and use it to mount CD images. Normal DC discs cannot be read by regular CD/DVD-ROM drives, you you can forget trying to run those right of the bat.

So it boils down to two choices, either run CD-R backups directly from your CD/DVD-ROM drive or use mounted CD images via Daemon Tools to boot games. Selfboot games should work as is, but non-selfboot games either need to be patched to make them selfboot or using a bootdisc to make them run.

Last edited:
OP
D

Diyakov

So my Idea with the dreamcast wouldnt work?
(Like put a Regular game in the DC in the dreamcast like Sonic, and then once that spins up, take sonic out, and then put in the fake disk).

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
I was talking strictly about emulation. If you plan on playing with the actual console, You have even less problems to worry about. Still, I wouldn't know if Sonic acts like a bootdisc. I'd use a non-game bootdisc if I were you though.