What's new

New computer (sorry boasting a little here)

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Dell Optiplex 745 Mini-Tower
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz 1066FSB
3 GIG PC6400 800Mhz
Nvidia GeForce 8600GT 512meg
Soyo 24in LCD 6ms 1900x1200
2 - 320gig SATA (soon to be RAID1 when controller arrives)
1 - 500gig SATA
1 - 500gig USB 2.0 external
16x LG Dual Layer DVD +RW

I know many people might frown on not building your own and going Dell, but the price was just too good. Considering I don't overclock anymore and have limited time I needed something easy to take care of and just "work". I put this whole system together for under $960 US (and built a sweet Core 2 Duo for one of my sons out of my spare parts for just another $150).

Works a treat and I feel so "cutting edge" for once, hehe. Actually can't wait to put XP x64 on that I have bought to try out Dolphin.

Talas

Son of the Sky
Hey nice,

I wanted to buy a new desktop comp soon and I have no idea what has to go inside. I want to work with it mostly but I also want to be able to play the state-of-the-art games that are out right now. My neighbour told me he would sell me a comp for 800 Euros. Seems a little too much or am I wrong? Last time I bought a PC was 2002, so I am a little out of what is needed in the comp. Anybody can give me some tips? I wanted to buy it for 600 Euros. Too little?

smcd

Talas, that's around $940 USD which can buy a fair bit of hardware (especially if you already have some components and don't mind keeping them - monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc) I'm not sure if you'll have to pay VAT and all that which will lower your buying power a bit, but even still you should be able to make a generous PC from that amount :)

Talas

Son of the Sky
Yea, I will keep my keyboard, monitor, mouse, loud speakers and so on. It will only be the comp. That sounds good :) But what kind of graphic card should I look for, I have no idea. I want to buy a Wii for home and still be able to play some of the good graphic master pieces on my pc (dunno, like Gears of War or something). I think I can even keep my sound card. So, what graphic card, what processor, what else is important?

smcd

A core 2 duo should run somewhere around 150-200 for a lower end but decent one, combine with 2GB of RAM DDR2 800, 50-100. A motherboard, 150. hard drive, 100. case/power supply, 150. dvd drive/burner 50. an 8800gs or so should run you 150-200

200+100+150+100+150+50 = 800-950 (prices in USD) (plus you might have to buy windows if you don't already have a copy, another $100)

Last edited:

smcd

an 8800gs (nvidia card) will run you from 140-200 or so (USD). you can get a comparable ati card for the same price range or if you want a "newer" card, an nvidia 9600gt can be had for around 170 USD