What's new

Need help from the begining...

rllstlskls

Hi, im new here and i decided to register because im having so much trouble getting n64 emulators to work properly. Could you guys tell me which is the best emulator for playing golden eye 007 on? and do i need any extra plugins for it to work? because when i tested this game on the 1964 emulator, the game was all messed up. the textures was really wierd and i couldnt see anything what i was doing. i really need help, would appreciate it. thanks

Will needs help

Hacker... NOT cracker, ok?
The best emulator is Project 64

Dont listen to that.

rllstlskls, it really depends on your system. Project 64 would be fine if you want absolute crap. Post your systems specs, we can do a lot better than just the name of a ballsup emulator.

Big Robot Bill

Unless your computer is from years and years ago, your three best options are 1964, Mupen64, and Project 64. All have their pros and cons, neither is really better than the other. I recomend downloading all three of them, trying each out using different settings and such.

Project 64 refuses to run much of anything on my PC, so I wouldn't call it the best of them all. Mupen64 also doesn't run at all too well either. 1964 runs quite well and is good enough for me (get Conker running smoothly; makes me happy :bouncy: .)

EDIT: Fixed it =P . (And my grammar as well)

Last edited:

Toasty

Sony battery
Dont listen to that.

rllstlskls, it really depends on your system. Project 64 would be fine if you want absolute crap. Post your systems specs, we can do a lot better than just the name of a ballsup emulator.
Okay, some emulators are better at some things than Project64, but Project64 has advantages over the others as well. It's definitely a very good emulator and doesn't deserve a comment like this, IMHO.
...your two best options are 1964, Mupen64, and Project 64.
Hmm, me counts three options, not two. :p You're suggestion was a good one though BRB.

Will needs help

Okay, some emulators are better at some things than Project64, but Project64 has advantages over the others as well. It's definitely a very good emulator and doesn't deserve a comment like this, IMHO.

K, I'm still waiting for him to post specs so the best emu can be recommended with plugins.

OP
R

rllstlskls

ok thanks everyone for helping me, appreciate it. I tried the project 64 emulator and it worked really well with plugins, i didn't encounter any big problems.

Heres my specs:

512mb ram
graphic card: Radeon 9800 series
CPU: 2.16 GHz

But i guess that doesn't matter now that i got it working. Thanks

Will needs help

512mb ram
graphic card: Radeon 9800 series
CPU: 2.16 GHz
Thats good hardware for N64 emulation, I would recommend 1964 0.9.9 as your emulator, either Jabo's 1.7 or Rice's Video 6.1.2 as a Video plugin.

With that gfx card, you can try forcing High anti-aliasing levels in your ATI control panel and use hi-rez textures. Check the 1964 forum section for all of these-
http://www.emutalk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Thats good hardware for N64 emulation, I would recommend 1964 0.9.9 as your emulator, either Jabo's 1.7 or Rice's Video 6.1.2 as a Video plugin.

With that gfx card, you can try forcing High anti-aliasing levels in your ATI control panel and use hi-rez textures. Check the 1964 forum section for all of these-
http://www.emutalk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2
Why do you recommend 6.1.2 instead of 6.1.4?
Get the newest version here.

FireXtol

In my experience, 1964 is the best emulator. Mupen is also quite fast (discovered it whilst trying to get Kirby64 to work, and it worked great!), Project64 seems to not be as fast. You can take the audio and video plug-ins from PJ64 (Jabo's) and use them in 1964/Mupen/etc, and you'll see a big performance increase over PJ64 usually (PJ64's core is unoptimized[read: SLOW] or something, is the apparent explanation). I hear older versions of PJ64 (v1.4) may be faster at certain games than later versions.

You can adjust speed further with CF(Counter Factor, increasing it makes the game render faster) in 1964. In PJ64, you can right-click a game, and choose Edit Game Settings from the pop-up menu, there's CF adjustment from 1 to 6.

You can access this option, in 1964, from the menu: Emulation | Counter Factor, or using shortcuts: Ctrl+1-8. 1=slowest('normal'), 8=too fast(probably). Usually ctrl+3 or ctrl+5 work great for me. Before you mess around with the CF too much, you may want to try different plug-ins or emus to get desired performance, because making the CF larger does seem to screw up some games, especially audio-related screw ups. It can making racing games really fun though.

Last edited:

GE Master

Well, get Mupen64k and forget about the rest. Why? Online flawless GE.

http://www.GoldenEyeOnline.com

For your system, you might not run that well because 512 isn't a lot of ram for emulation. You need to have more if you want to play Perfect Dark. Perhaps not, but trial and error. My experience says 1 gig is ideal. Any questions regarding GE and emulation I'd be glad to answer.

If you aren't going to play online, the I would use 1964 because it will run faster than pj64. Speed is really the only difference between the two.

Graphics use Jabos 3d8

Last edited:

EmuFan

Emulation Fanatic
Oh GE, you and your justified Goldeneye craze:p
When i first got into N64 emulation about 8 years ago, i first started using Nemu64. Sweet times, i tried it some time earlier on a even older PC. Nothing. That PC was shit. A total of 2 GB HDD. Really bad stuff. Hovewer, that PC i had 8 years ago ran Nemu64 perfectly.

Will needs help

In my experience, 1964 is the best emulator. Mupen is also quite fast (discovered it whilst trying to get Kirby64 to work, and it worked great!), Project64 seems to not be as fast. You can take the audio and video plug-ins from PJ64 (Jabo's) and use them in 1964/Mupen/etc, and you'll see a big performance increase over PJ64 usually (PJ64's core is unoptimized[read: SLOW] or something, is the apparent explanation). I hear older versions of PJ64 (v1.4) may be faster at certain games than later versions.

I have always upheld the same view.

Well, get Mupen64k and forget about the rest. Why? Online flawless GE.

FLAWLESS? far from it. Just the fact that people must have the same setup, and any discrepency in Vertical Interrupt can lead to.... getting killed! A bit like playing games online with 1 second ping.