What's new

Neat emulator programming tutorial

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
You're better than I am at programming Sagon, so if you can't do it yet I doubt I am able. I've heard a lot of nasty stories about the complexity of the Saturn.

TheImpaler

ShizZie said:
You're better than I am at programming Sagon, so if you can't do it yet I doubt I am able. I've heard a lot of nasty stories about the complexity of the Saturn.

Tis true, basically the saturn has a load more chips as opposed to the Psx for example.

TJA

Sagon said:
My ultimate goal of starting coding emulators is a creation of Sega Saturn emulator, right now only one developing emulator exist - SSF, so Saturn is pretty fresh and new ground for emu coding, but now i don't have enogh experience to handle project like that, so i'll try something simpler like Sega Genesis. But maybe you want to create Saturn emu...

There are actually a few saturn emus out there that are still in development I the next realse of http://satourne.consollection.com/ for example show be an excellent realse.

Also there is an open-source saturn emu you could maybe take a look at to see how things are done. http://yabause.sourceforge.net/

Sagon

Yeah your right I forgot about Satourne, it's great. Thanks for the link to Yabause, it's very interesting project.

Shin_Gouki

Very interesting!
the pj 64 emu book is a nice start, but the pdf is far more detailed with a lot of resources. Very nice for emucoders! A lot of interesting concepts!
wbr Shin Gouki

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
ShizZie said:
As for future projects, if anyone would like to work on one with me, or needs help, let me know. I havn't picked up another emulation project yet, and I'm sure I wouldn't be able to handle anything too advanced entirelly on my own.

I'm getting really excited about SNES... even though I know it's really pushing my abilities as a programmer. The thing with most of these systems is that they've already all been done by everybody and their dogs. I wish I could step into newer grounds...
getting addicted to emuprogramming eh ;)

/me dreams of a gb emu...

OP
blueshogun96

blueshogun96

A lowdown dirty shame
Sagon said:
My ultimate goal of starting coding emulators is a creation of Sega Saturn emulator, right now only one developing emulator exist - SSF, so Saturn is pretty fresh and new ground for emu coding, but now i don't have enogh experience to handle project like that, so i'll try something simpler like Sega Genesis. But maybe you want to create Saturn emu...
It's great to see someone willing to work on Sega Saturn. What makes Sega Saturn more difficult than systems like PSX is that it has multiple processors and GPUs set up in a master/slave configuration. Sega Genesis would be a better start for sure. They both use a GPU called the VDP afaik, but the saturn's VDP is more advanced and hence more complicated. Besides that there are two VDPs in the saturn in a master/slave formation. Also it uses two SH-2 CPUs, an SH-1, and M68000 to drive the SCSP for sound.

I'll be back with some documentation and dev kits for you in a minute. These are definetly the most important steps to take when emulating this sucka. Learn to code for the system first and you will find out that it will make deving a Saturn emulator much easier and more understandable. NOTE: If you think Sega Saturn is bad, I dare you to try Sega Titan Video ;)

EDIT: Okay, found it.
http://www.antime.org/sega/docs.html

Thanks goes to runik for telling me about this page.

Last edited:

Sagon

blueshogun96 said:
It's great to see someone willing to work on Sega Saturn. What makes Sega Saturn more difficult than systems like PSX is that it has multiple processors and GPUs set up in a master/slave configuration. Sega Genesis would be a better start for sure. They both use a GPU called the VDP afaik, but the saturn's VDP is more advanced and hence more complicated. Besides that there are two VDPs in the saturn in a master/slave formation. Also it uses two SH-2 CPUs, an SH-1, and M68000 to drive the SCSP for sound.

I'll be back with some documentation and dev kits for you in a minute. These are definetly the most important steps to take when emulating this sucka. Learn to code for the system first and you will find out that it will make deving a Saturn emulator much easier and more understandable. NOTE: If you think Sega Saturn is bad, I dare you to try Sega Titan Video ;)

EDIT: Okay, found it.
http://www.antime.org/sega/docs.html

Thanks goes to runik for telling me about this page.

Ooh that's awesome site, great thanks. It'll be very interesting to investigate all this info.

NoeOM

Mankind Member
Zilmar's Emubook pdf

Is there a pdf of the Zilmar's emubook? Where can I find it (if available)?

Pixman

Amy new articles on this, guys? :)
Would be very interested in any kind of development-blogs.

I'm working on a gameboy-z80/-emulator right now( http://mve.berlios.de ) and will be creating a tutorial on it when I have a working version.

(By now the roms can be loaded and some data can be read and displayed on the console.)

Greets,
Pix

OP
blueshogun96

blueshogun96

A lowdown dirty shame
Ocassionally, I look for more articles and put them on my sig if they are worth reading. And good luck with your gb emu :)