What's new

NAOMI: Rotation in Vertical Games

turns2ashes

Hello everyone. Just want to say Demul is the most exciting emulation project around and you guys are doing great stuff.

I have a question about screen rotation. I run arcade emulators on a screen that i can easily rotate. Shmups are my favorite genre of game and I've been messing with some vertical Naomi games.

I guess my first question would be is it normal that Demul automatically rotates the game window after loading a vertically oriented game? Second question, is there a way to disable this feature without manually clicking into the video options and changing it back to 0 degrees every time the game is loaded?

I'm running the Hyperspin frontend on my setup and would prefer if the game just loaded in the normal 0 degrees rotation so that when Hyperspin fullscreens demul automatically it would load up sideways and i could just rotate my monitor for the full experience.

If anyone has any tips or advice on this subject, I would greatly appreciate it.

Keep up the good work, Demul team! Thanks.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
IIRC, yes, it is normal, as many people do not have monitors that can be rotated. No, I don't think this feature can be disabled, although I may be wrong.
If setting the "rotation" line to 0 in the video plugin ini file before starting Demul does nothing, then I guess automatic rotation can't be disabled.

OP
T

turns2ashes

Thanks for the info. I actually think the auto-rotate feature on vert games is a good idea, since it's uncommon for ppl to have vertical monitors, like you said.

After messing around with the AutoHotKey scripting that HyperSpin uses for custom game launching, I was able to undo the auto-rotate on vertical games. Essentially, before the script tells demul to go fullscreen, i added a script that automatically opens the video options and sets it back to zero.

I was thinking AHK scripting would be too difficult but it turned out to be pretty easy.