What's new

n64 card questions

jojo12

I have some questions about the N64 rom header:
What does the clockrate mean? It's 0xF in my example header.
The PC address in the header is eg 0x80241800. Is this address an exact address in the ROM file?
What does the Release mean if it's 0x00001446? It's not the year when it was published...

zoinkity

You're using an old version of the memory map obviously. Most erroneously break down the PI settings in the first word inappropriately.

The clockrate setting is an override which isn't really used often. The 0xF part of it is a different value; the clock rate override masks that lower nibble away. The default value for games would be 0x3B9ACA0, and three quarters of that is the actual rate. They use the integer MULT and DIV operations, in case that really matters.

The program counter address at +0x8 is an rdram address. After the bootstrap is run (ROM 0x40 - 0x1000ish) and the PIF gets its turn, this is address where execution begins. There are common ones for different CIC chips, most famously 80000400 for the 6102, but in particular the Quagmire titles are at radically different addresses.

You may also want the version code, which is a single-byte int at 0x3F.

As for the release field, I'm not precisely certain how makerom sets that. Seems the base value is 0x1444, and I have yet to see any ROM that utilizes it. I'll sift through some docs and look it up though.