What's new

More speed possible???

XdaywalkerX

the code 4 the emu isn't optimized, isn't it? - the emu doesn't use my full system ressources and cause speed impacts (take a look at the screens) (and gpu power is more than enough - AA doesn't effect the gameplay)

http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?image=08232007230123fb5.jpg

http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=08242007013639qz5.jpg

specs see sig...

and plz - i need a framelimter - i get over 100 fps in indoor areas in ww - and smbb is also running to fast

and btw - is there a final fix for the item prob in zelda ww?

Last edited:

Knuckles

look, the dual core just splits Dolphin in 2 threads, 1 for the core, 1 for the video. 1 of them just asks for less juice than the other, it's normal.

For the item gain bug. There is a fix.. but due to Dolphin's lack of Debugger or patch system, it cannot be applied.

Last edited:
OP
X

XdaywalkerX

look, the dual core just splits Dolphin in 2 threads, 1 for the core, 1 for the video. 1 of them just asks for less juice than the other, it's normal.

For the item gain bug. There is a fix.. but due to Dolphin's lack of Debugger or patch system, it cannot be applied.

thx 4 reply - is the first core 4 the cpu or gpu?

BlueFalcon7

I realized that splitting a single core processor into 2 cores wont necessarily double the performance. I would assume that quad core support would not add much of a performance boost either, besides how the OS partitions off the windows processes.

Also, if Im going off topic, sorry, but I was wondering, since you said that the graphics are emulated in another core; The gamecube software renders stuff (which supposedly allows the weird stuff like occlusion culling) I know that software rendering uses alot more CPU than Direct 3d.

Would it be better to create a dynamic recompiler for the Graphics, (which converts them to Open GL or Direct3d commands) and convert to do software rendering (to get the weird video effects) or Direct 3d commands? (to speed up the CPU)

Lightning

Emulator Developer
The video is the least of the slow points. There is so much complexity with video emulation that trying to write a recompiler would be useless due to the ability to modify data in the pipeline to cause effects/etc. There is always things like caching data and applying it if changes are not detected.

ector

Emulator Developer
Yes, more speed is possible. I have some new ideas, both on the CPU and GPU side. No, I can't give you a timeframe or even a promise.

No, don't expect to see both cores fully loaded. The CPU and GPU of the GC take different amounts of efforts to emulate.

And no, more than 2 cores will not do anything noticable to speed.

Yes, a mini dynamic recompiler would benefit the vertex decoding speed of the graphics plugin, but again, no timeframe :)

No, there's not much point in doing more ambitious recompiling of display lists and so on, since games tend to stealthily change them. I've tried this, sure it goes a little bit faster, but you often see frozen enemies and other problems in games.