What's new

Microsoft Pushes hard for mobile platform acceptance

Martin

Administrator
Interesting. I wonder if it's not too late for the to catch up to iPhone and Android.

Two things:

Cost: One way they could get onto the market fast is release low price phones with Windows Phone OS. I don't see that happening.

Cool Factor: Sorry to say but this is all that kids care about these days and as you know they're one of the biggest consumers of new phones. I think at this moment kids don't think a Windows phone is cool. Apple is WAY ahead here, their phone isn't even the best and they still sell it for usually twice the amount.

smcd

I've had a windows phone in the past and it really wasnt that bad (Moto Q9c) But then there were other MS phones, like the Kin... didn't own one but I remember it bombing hard http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Kin From what I hear, the newest "windows phone" platform really isn't bad, just unpopular :)

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Cost: One way they could get onto the market fast is release low price phones with Windows Phone OS. I don't see that happening.

Microsoft won't do this, most Windows Phone 7 phones can be re-flashed with Android - though I wouldn't mind getting a cheap Android phone with good hardware if MS does go that route.

Martin

Administrator
Microsoft won't do this, most Windows Phone 7 phones can be re-flashed with Android - though I wouldn't mind getting a cheap Android phone with good hardware if MS does go that route.

Really? That's nice, I had no idea :)

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

Well Droid is likely to get hit by a big ugly stick because of Googles acquisition of Moto mobile. "hasn't harmed anyone yet" moto is not going to fly, Googles last anti PRIVACY announcement seemed a bit odd. Also if you hadn't paid attention they dumped a number of services such as google reader that numerous people used for maintaining lists.

This all hints Google is about to turn into ugly big brother very fast.

Android is kind of messy the fact it uses javascript as it's death-top system manager is also a serious problem.

After my LAST fiasco (and final) with Gnome Shell I've concluded no machine should be managed by Javascript it's just way too dangerous (I won't go into details). The idea you can run everything like it's a web browser is rife with security issues. The WWW has become quite dangerous and allowing such poorly thought out idea in terms of security to continue is definitely induced by people smoking dangerous controlled substances.

I'm not sure what these kids are thinking, I guess they've never seen how easy things can go wrong in software without a way to regain control of the system. An appropriate analogy is driving with regenerative brakes only in a hybrid vehicle and what happens if the computer decides it doesn't want to brake while you are rolling at 85 miles an hour down hill.

There are a few interesting alternatives to Android popping up they just aren't backed by big ugly (g oogle ).

A very interesting research result came out recently that the cell phone companies make more money on the 'dumb' cell phones than the smart phones. Literally, they have a higher profit margin and higher volume.

Cyb