What's new

MDS and MDF files

cam_kwok

I'm a new user of this Chankast program and i have a problem which may seem dumb to you guys, but i have no idea what to do.
i just recently got Gundam DX, and it came in a MDS file, and a MDF file.
i tried to mount them on daemon, but did not work. i was just wondering how do i start this game up

Miretank

Lurking
.mds and .mdf are Alcohol 120% files, they won't mount in daemon. i think you could mount this image in alcohol 120% virtual drive, cause I don't think there is software to convert mds/mdf to iso, nrg or bin.

Whirlinurd

With a search on google it states that Deamon Tools 3.47 supports .mds files used by alcohol to be mounted within its virtual drive. Cam_Kwok probably is using a older version like 3.29 for it compatability issue with Chankast and that version doesn't support .mds. Maybe you can copy mdsmount.dll from Alcohol 120% Plugins directory and put it in the Plugins directory of 3.29. No idea if this will work but it works the other way around. If you haven't got a clue what I am talking about then just download Deamon Tools 3.47.

Miretank

Lurking
whirlnurd is right again. i never saw in 3.47 the mds files, i never used this type of file, but i now i see in the daemon. thanx whilr. by the way, i fixed that thing about 16-bit subsystem, but my MDK2 .img from binhack does not boot yet! what should I do?

OP
C

cam_kwok

i did get the daemon 347, but i tried to book the game from the Chankast. it still can't read from the my virtual drive. i do mount the mds file on the tray rite

Whirlinurd

MiretanK.O said:
whirlnurd is right again. i never saw in 3.47 the mds files, i never used this type of file, but i now i see in the daemon. thanx whilr. by the way, i fixed that thing about 16-bit subsystem, but my MDK2 .img from binhack does not boot yet! what should I do?

Well I can only say what works for me. I attached makecdi and it's a shrunked exoboot version made by Onko. Follow the easy steps as the readme says. Copy contents of cd/image to data directory. Edit Start.bat and execute it. If Start.bat won't run then open command prompt and navigate to your makecdi directory and run start.bat from there.

cam_kwok said:
I'm a new user of this Chankast program and i have a problem which may seem dumb to you guys, but i have no idea what to do.
i just recently got Gundam DX, and it came in a MDS file, and a MDF file.
i tried to mount them on daemon, but did not work. i was just wondering how do i start this game up

When a cd can be read there are only two real important factors that make a dreamcast game run.

- Make sure that when you mount your image can it be opened or does windows says that the cd is corrupt or has to be cleaned.
- Check with Nero, Alcohol 52%/120% or UltraISO if the image has two tracks. 1 is about 2mb in size. If this track is there the image is already bootable. If it's not use Utopia Boot Disc or Selfboot program like MakeCdi, Exoboot.
- Set the correct drive with the configure drive option in Chankast. Let it point to the Virtual Drive.

This is all needed to succesfully run a dreamcast game. Now the following why a game doesn't run.

- Is it compatable with Chankast to be emulated. Check the compatability thread.
- Chankast has a problem with Windows 2000 and ASPI. Check F.A.Q. to get it solved.
- Different systems give different results. CPU for speed, Graphics card for perfect emulation. ATI works better, NVIDIA worse and S3 worst.

cam_kwok said:
i did get the daemon 347, but i tried to book the game from the Chankast. it still can't read from the my virtual drive. i do mount the mds file on the tray rite

And yes you can mount it from the tray icon.

That's all folks. Maybe I forgot something... :)

Last edited:

indicatoto101

I have Crazy Taxi 2 in two files: an mds (2k) file and mdi (700 something MB). The mdi file mounts on Daemon, but Windows doesn't recognize it, it says its corrupt. I also tried your makecdi program Whirl and the program created a bin file named IP. need your help whirl