What's new

Majora's Mask Night/Day problem

Carsomyr

Hello everyone,

I apologize if this issue has been brought up before in another thread. I searched through this forum and couldn't find anything on it.

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask runs perfectly in 1964 except for one unusual issue. When the first transition from night to day occurs (night of first day to day of second day), the screen turns black for a while and the sound becomes real choppy. The screen that says "Dawn of the Second Day" eventually appears (I turned off Video Speed Sync to see if it actually did), and that's nice, but I'm wondering if there's a solution to the black screen issue. I'm using Jabo's Direct3D 6 1.5 video plugin, Azimer's Audio .30 (old driver) audio plugin, and Jabo's DirectInput 7 1.5 plugin. I actually experienced this issue in Project 64 1.5 as well, so I'm guessing that it has something to do with the video plugin (the problem still occurred with no sound plugin selected). Is there a video plugin that this issue does not occur with? I'm playing with the European version of the Majora's Mask ROM, and I tried using the U.S. ROM and the same thing still happened.

My system specs:

Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz
ASUS P4S8X mobo
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro, Catalyst 3.8 drivers
512 MB RAM
Soundblaster Audigy, using latest drivers for it
DirectX 9.0b

I appreciate any input anyone can give.

Trotterwatch

This happens due to an effect that is unemulated by every plugin bar one (to the best of my knowledge).

Glide64 works, but you need to use it in conjuction with Evoodoo, which I am guessing means the effect if it worked at all, would work at a very slow speed.

Framebuffer effects are seldom fast at the best of times, so adding an extra layer of emulation if you will, slows it down even more.

Clements

As a matter of fact, one plugin does, Glide64 0.5. Being a glide plugin, you'll need eVoodoo in your 1964 folder. Put Glide64 in your plugin folder as normal.

eVoodoo is here:
http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?threadid=16715

Glide64 0.5:
http://www.emuxhaven.net/~glide64/downloads.htm

Beware! It works perfectly (albeit with slowdowns) on a Voodoo card, but it may not work properly with the wrapper. As plugins develop, more and more will support the transistion but at the moment it's just one.

OP
C

Carsomyr

Thanks for the replies. I downloaded the Glide plugin into my plugin folder and I put the eVoodoo wrapper in my 1964 folder, I started up the European ROM, and I had a couple of problems. The Nintendo 64 logo and text appeared, then I got an error message that said this:

"The GFX plugin caused an exception and has been disabled. Would you like to turn it back on and attempt to continue?"

I clicked Yes, and then this message appeared in the display window:

"Glide 64

Gfx cannot be drawn in windowed mode
Press Alt-Enter to switch to fullscreen"

I hit Alt-Enter to go to full screen mode; the eVoodoo splash screen appeared, but the program appeared to freeze at that screen. Clicking the mouse, hitting Enter, Escape and other keys didn't yield any response, and I had to end the program with the Task Manager. Am I doing something wrong? :)

Clements

Yeah, unfortunately I get that same issue too with MM and many other games... some people with non-voodoos may have got it to work I think, although I haven't worked out what's going wrong, seems to happen right before a framebuffer effect for me. I'm starting to wish I had a Voodoo card!

If someone who has got it to work would kindly post screenshots of their eVoodoo and Glide64 config it would be nice.

OP
C

Carsomyr

I just tried using that Glide plugin with Project 64, and the same thing happened with 1964, except the program shut down after the eVoodoo splash screen appeared. Does anyone know how I can get the Glide plugin working with either emulator?

UPDATE:

Nevermind, I got the Glide plugin working with both emulators. I just had to use Glide64 0.42 instead of Glide64 0.5. :)

Indeed, the problem went away with the Glide plugin. The only thing about that plugin is that the colors seem kind of "off" when I use it, as opposed to using Jabo's Direct3D 6 1.5 plugin...

Last edited:

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
Carsomyr said:
Nevermind, I got the Glide plugin working with both emulators. I just had to use Glide64 0.42 instead of Glide64 0.5. :)

Indeed, the problem went away with the Glide plugin. The only thing about that plugin is that the colors seem kind of "off" when I use it, as opposed to using Jabo's Direct3D 6 1.5 plugin...

Strange. Glide64 0.5 works fine with eVoodoo. Here eVoodoo settings and Glide64 in action (GF4mx, Win2K)

straight

Trotterwatch said:
This happens due to an effect that is unemulated by every plugin bar one (to the best of my knowledge).

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is the effect that's supposed to happen there? Is it just a change in the lighting at dawn or what?

olimar

straight said:
Just out of curiosity, what exactly is the effect that's supposed to happen there? Is it just a change in the lighting at dawn or what?

The screen's supposed to shrink. I wonder WHY, though...

si_ok

olimar said:
The screen's supposed to shrink. I wonder WHY, though...

i believe, using technical terms, the camera zooms out from its current position. as any computer 3d graphic artist will know, this needs a lot of frame replacement.... plus a lot of cpu power :)
(don't take my word on that tho.... but i'm fairly sure thats what happens)