What's new

Love Mupen64....... (but)

Kribby

ohiyo!
I know...it's about time I show my ass around here...but face it, that NGemu loves their Project64 and nothing else ;)

I have fell into love with the newest Mupen64 (mostly because Kirby 64 doesn't have that 'life bar doesn't refresh' problem ^^) And for the most part, every game runs flawlessly. However, I did have some problems:

1) Mario Kart 64 (and maybe other racing games) - During certain parts on every track, it tends to drop some frames, which makes gameplay appear slightly choppy. Though not major, it is noticable while turning and doing other things. I was using Rice's Video 6.1.0c at the time. To make sure it was an emulator problem, I tried with same settings with 1964, and sure enough, gameplay was flawless. I can confirm that Glide64 does fix the problems with Mario Kart 64, but I just like Rice's Video for personal prefrence ^^

2) Penny Racers - I can't quite put my finger on this one, cause it happens both on Mupen64 and 1964.......but during play, whenever you move left or right, the car barrel rolls for no reason at all (for example, I can move left and right one time, but after 5 seconds, any turn becomes a barrel roll) I own and played the original game, and in no way can you barrell roll just by turning left or right (well, you can by pressing the R button, or trying to turn around a sharp corner with the wrong tires)....but this happens at the slightest touch. It might be a input plugin problem.....

3) General performance problems - In some games, FPS is below 30 when the VI/s is 60...you know, all that good cruddy stuff :p

other than that, very good emulator ^^

Last edited:

adwin

Please post your hardware specs so we can help you.
I have been using mupn64 since a looong time.
Under both linux and windows, and I can say I have rarely experinced problems with it.
That latest version even fixes big issues in games like yoshi's island and killer instinct gold.

Always have the latest version of the emu and the plugins.
AND latest gfx drivers.

For your reference, Mario Kart DOES display sometimes torn textures with Mario kart & the same with RICE, but rather while using NVidia cards, which I am guessing you have.
NVidia has a problem translating and allocating vertex data, so...
As you said, either try an ATI card or stick to glide.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
mariokart: maybe it can be because you're running out of cpu ressource during a very short time. The only way to fix it would be to optimize the core further.

performance problem: you don't have any problem. 60vi/s is fullspeed. FPS is lower because the game was program that way (n64 wasn't powerful enough to do a constant 60fps). If anything it's a game problem not an emulator problem.

OP
Kribby

Kribby

ohiyo!
adwin said:
Please post your hardware specs so we can help you.
opps, my bad. I blindly assumed everyone knew my system specs already, but here they are anyways:

Arch Linux, Windows XP Pro, AMD AthlonXP 2600+ @ 2.11GHz, 1GB PC2700 DDRAM, 16x DVD-R/RW, 128MB ATi Radeon 9600, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
performance problem: you don't have any problem. 60vi/s is fullspeed. FPS is lower because the game was program that way (n64 wasn't powerful enough to do a constant 60fps). If anything it's a game problem not an emulator problem.
I assumed at first that it might be a game specific problem, but with 1964 and the exact same plugins/settings, it plays very smoothly. I'm also taking a wild stab that the Mario Kart 64 problem is the exact same problem with several of these different games also (I should of said earlier that when VI/s went down, that FPS went down, and thus noticable chopiness occurs)....which as you stated, would only be fixed by further optimizations of the core
That Penny Racers problem also happens in PJ64
wonder if it could be input plugin-specific....never got to try with Jabo's :/