What's new

Looking to buy external hardrive.

A.I.

Banned
I like to know what the best mid price external hardrive there is, something between 300-$400. I seen two hd's around this price, Western Digital and Maxtor. My last ext. hd was Maxtor which went belly up so I'm a little bit wary so is Western Digital a reliable brand? They have 1T for under $400 which makes it very good value but what is its performance like? Also, I need to know what are the do and donts regarding ext. hd's.

smcd

I recently bought a Western Digital 640GB external usb2 drive for around $80 USD. So far no problems with it. One thing to note is do not move them when they're still spinning - or else platters meet head = bad news for your drive :) This is the drive i bought though it is no longer on sale (and they don't service Aus anyhow) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136295 It is fanless... so it can get warm. The drive that is inside it I have another one in my PC and it still chugs along just fine too. I also caught a 500GB Hitachi external on sale and it's still working after a year now.

revl8er

That Damn Good
I bought a western digital my book 500 gb hard drive, but overpaid due to getting it from Wal-Mart. Had no problems with it so far, but only had it for a month.

OP
A.I.

A.I.

Banned
Thanks guys for your replies. Looks like I will go for WD then. Only thing, I might wait for my birthday next year. Seems like I've been hit by the box DVD set syndrome. Curse you entertaining TV shows!