What's new

linux sound static

mherbert0

Hello all,

I am using mupen64 on Fedora Core 6. I am using jttl audio plugin for audio output. I have my system configured to do digital audio output to my Sony Receiver.

I am having an issue with all of the sounds generated by mupen sounding like noisy static. I've had this problem with other emulators, and was able to resolve it by setting the output frequency to 48000Hz. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a way to do this with any of the audio plugins for mupen.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to set the output frequency?

-Matt

[PS love the emulator, great job hacktarux]

OP
M

mherbert0

Well, I fixed it. I'll post how I solved it hear, in case it can help somebody else out there. I don't honestly know why the things I changed fixed it, but it works. Turns out, that mupen was putting the sound out at 48kHz. However, alsa was doing something wierd with it. "aplay -l" listed my iec958 device (digital spdif) as device number 2. So I set my asound.conf file up to default all output to device number 2. This worked for almost everything ... except mupen, and sdlmess. Out of ideas, I started fiddling with the asound.conf file, and tried setting my default device to number 1 (which aplay -l listed as not being present!), and just like that, everything started workin perfectly! Almost... the precompiled version of mupen crashes when I try to load a rom, but the version I compiled works fine. Like I said, I don't understand it (maybe an idiosyncracy of my hardware?) but it seems to work.

So the good news, now I can play all my favorite N64 games on my big screen TV, through my MythTV box! Woo Hoo!