What's new

Lightscribe requires windows to have Autorun Set

Cyberman

Autorun (if you folks aren't familiar with it) is where you insert a disk and windows runs 'crap' on it 'automagically' I have this disabled on my machine, SO why does lightscribe need this DANGEROUS (and for me inconvienent) feature (that Microsoft should be SUED for implementing)?

I think the driver for lightscribe may hook into the VXD via the autorun. But why use such a CRAPPY way of doing things especially since this creates a major security threat? (Think about it, someone constructs a malicious disk that runs not a install program but one that proceeds to hack your system it's very easy to do.)

Cyb

smcd

I have never heard this and it doesn't make sense that it would require AutoRun to be enabled... I have a lightscribe drive but never use it so it's nothing to me :p

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
My drive is not lightscribe compatible so I don't know. I even prefer to burn dvs discs at 8x max when my drive is capable to burn at 16x. I know it's offtopic but I just want it comment it

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

Lightscribe is convienent so as I don't need to use Fellows CD/DVD paper covers (which tend to misalign by huge amounts they are +-0.2 or 5mm so imagine if the overlay is 5 mm off how CRAPPY it would look). So I thought I would try lightscribe. I think I will fling this one at the lightscribe cartel and find out what the deal is. I'll first Email LG as it's an LG GSA-H55L and tell them what the problem is what the whiny software is saying and then bluntly ask why lightscribe requires a security risk to be enabled (if you aren't familiar with the problem autorun was how Sony (BMG records) installed root kit hacks into peoples computers ).

Cyb