What's new

Kirby 64 - The Crystal Shards controls?

WheelsiesPwns

So, I guess you could say that I'm new to Project 64, but I'm figuring it out. I downloaded a program that allows you to download Windows programs on a Mac (my computer's a Macbook Pro) and then downloaded P64. Now, I've tried basically everything in order to make the controls on my keyboard work for Kirby 64, as only the A button seems to be working. I've gone to "Configure Controller Plugin...", but I can't seem to change any of the preset buttons, because a message saying "Sorry the input selection made is already in use" keeps popping up, without my having even chosen a button to replace the previous one.

Anyway, it's not the actual rom that seems to be the problem, only the buttons... I can't seem to find the buttons that would normally be the arrow keys, and for that reason, I can't get past the tutorial... Any advice?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Birby uses the N64 D-pad for control instead of the usual analog stick. By default, Project64's keyboard controls maps the analog stick to the arrow keys, and the D-pad to the numpad, IIRC.

You are using the default input plugin, right?

Having said all this, and after reading your post again, there always a chance that running programs designed for Windows on a Mac while not using a Windows OS on a Mac, can cause problems. I'm not the expert on Macs, so someone else is free to chip in.

P.S. I'm sure you meant "running Windows programs on a Mac".

Last edited:

super_gamer

Usually when the message "Sorry the input selection made is already in use" pops up, the key that you are trying to change is being used by another control.

Lets say that the digital pad has the letter T indicating left, if you wish to change that to L key, that L key is more than likely being designated to the analog stick, so you'll need to use another letter random like U, so you then can change the T to the L Key.

Its a bit of toggling first before you get the desired result.

I just hope I made sense.

OP
W

WheelsiesPwns

Yes, I am using the default input plugin, and yes, I did mean "running". Sorry for the confusion there. And although I thought, like you Agozer, that it may be because of my mac, the rom itself seems to be running a lot more smoothly in terms of graphics. However, I do understand that the operating systems are completely different, so it probably will end up causing some problems down the road.

super_gamer, you did make sense, don't worry. The only problem is, I can change one key to another without any problem, but as soon as I click on the button to change another key, it immediately sends the "Sorry the input selection made is already in use" before I even select the key I want to change it to...

Anyway, thanks for your help guys!

Alunalun

One of the default plugins is N-rage, which accepts movement of the mouse as an input too. So you could set the C-buttons to mouse up, down, left and right. So if you moved the mouse before pressing your key, it thinks you mean mouse movement, which might already be assigned. Could this be the problem?

And you can press 'esc' when assigning keys to unassign them. To avoid clashes, which are reallt annoying, you can unassign everything first before setting up a new configuration.

Clements

This may sound silly, but when you do eventually set up the controls, make sure you do not set the analog and D-Pad to the same controls. Although it seems to make sense in theory, in practice you may get weird problems in the game due to this. Not saying you would do this, but just a note.