What's new

Kind of Laptop For Running Dolphin?

iminquisi

Hello Dolphin Community!

I have a quick question and would appreciate your answers. I am not really sure how to find and display system specs, but I have a home computer with Windows XP and used the Dolphin v1.03 version with some success. In Zelda TP, I got a few fps, then it goes down to about 1 or 2fps at the title screen.

Anyway, in about one month, I am going to have to buy a laptop and as long as I am in the market, I was wondering if you could please describe to me what kind of computer I should be looking at for me to get a better performance. Like maybe I need something that could run the Dolphinx64 version instead? The screenshots suggest it's faster than the 1.03 version I was using before. And if I did get something capable of running the x64 release, would that computer also be able to run the other versions, like Dolphin v1.03 as well?

If you cannot tell me the name of the kind of computer I may want to consider, could you please tell me what to describe to the person I will buy the computer from in a store, if doing so will give me a better performance? I need to buy a laptop anyway... just thought I'd go for something better suited for Dolphin while I'm at it.

Thank you VERY much.

Last edited:

ector

Emulator Developer
Make sure to get the fastest Core 2 Duo CPU you can find. That's all that really matters.

Then wait an unknown time for the next Dolphin version... :)

Knuckles

Any dual core 64 bits CPU, and either an ATi or nVidia video card.. don't get some Intel/SiS shit or similar :p

OP
I

iminquisi

2 more questions

Any dual core 64 bits CPU, and either an ATi or nVidia video card.. don't get some Intel/SiS shit or similar :p

Thank you. That was very helpful. I have just two more questions to ask about this. One is that if I go for something with a Dual Core 64 bits CPU, will that particular computer also be able to play the other versions of Dolphin (ie, the non x64 versions) as well?

Second, do certain games may run faster on a dual core 64 bits CPU, than others? Like maybe Smash Bros. runs faster than Mario Sunshine? (I don't know that, it's just an example.) Anyway, is Zelda: TP a "faster game," given a great computer, or is it one of the slower .gcm's around as compared to others? Or does it not matter at all?

thanks again for all of your help. It is very much appreciated :)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Thank you. That was very helpful. I have just two more questions to ask about this. One is that if I go for something with a Dual Core 64 bits CPU, will that particular computer also be able to play the other versions of Dolphin (ie, the non x64 versions) as well?
Yes.

Second, do certain games may run faster on a dual core 64 bits CPU, than others? Like maybe Smash Bros. runs faster than Mario Sunshine? (I don't know that, it's just an example.)
I don't know, but I don't believe so (or little impact). Graphics is run on a separate thread, but it isn't the one that has the most impact on the CPU.

Anyway, is Zelda: TP a "faster game," given a great computer, or is it one of the slower .gcm's around as compared to others? Or does it not matter at all?
I don't believe it will fast at all, seeing as how the game pushed the original hardware to its limits.

Knuckles

always depend of the game. You will get a significant speed increase using the 64 bits version (in single or dual core mode) instead of using the normal 32bits one.

For speed, it's really different from game to game. There are some games that will still run slow, some that will run too fast. It's up to you to read up on the forums and test the games themselves and see the result.

LelandStanford

The CPU is the most important aspect. And any vid card aside from the crappy mobo ones is necessary if you want to run it at a resolution greater than 640x480 and antialiasing (looks much better than on my tv).

RAM is not nearly as important. My 2gb ram chip burned up for some reason and now I'm running on 512mb RAM. Dolphin still runs the same as before =]

Killler07

I've got a laptop with
Core 2 Duo 2ghz
2gb ram
8600M GT 512mb

SSMB runs with over 50fps.

And you can play loth of other new games :D