What's new

Just bought a new power supply

Allnatural

My old 350W Enermax has been under a great deal of stress, or it's simply dying. I keep getting a pop-up warning me that my video card is clocking down due to a lack of juice. I hope 420W is enough.

OP
Allnatural

Allnatural

Enermax. To be honest, I'm not entirely certain I need the extra power...yet. The video card complains about insufficient power at times, say, when running one of nvidia's demos (Dusk, for example) but not at other times, say, when running 3Dmark. I'll get the pop-up consistently when visiting certain websites too. I have no explanation for that. And the system is completely stable except for this one issue. Weird. Oh well, if the old PSU is still good I'll use it in a secondary system somewhere down the road.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
What video card is it?

I think its very unusual for a video card to complain about insufficient power, fact i've never heard of a video card doing that before now, usually they crash... i also find it odd that 420watts isn't enough...

OP
Allnatural

Allnatural

This is bizarre. When the insufficient power warning appears, the fan on my video card stops. It runs normally otherwise, but as soon as that message appears it simply stops. That can't be good. Granted, the card is clocked way down at that point (according to coolbits), but I'd assume the fan is still necessary.

-Shadow-

Banned
ScottJC said:
What video card is it?

I think its very unusual for a video card to complain about insufficient power, fact i've never heard of a video card doing that before now, usually they crash... i also find it odd that 420watts isn't enough...

ATI cards crash when they got too low power or when the HDD-extra-power plug is disconnected, nvidia cards clock themselves down when the power is too low, it's usual for a Nvidia card ;)

And i can't really imagine that 420 Watts are too few for a normal PC system !

Allnatural, you should get your money back for that card, it may be broken, or it's a driver bug, I heard something of a similar bug in a certain driver who triggers the low-power message.

That error is indeed bizarre !

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
A bad fan (video, CPU, PSU, case, whatever) can cause a bunch of bizzare stuff. Most likely the fan is still trying to pull juice, but since it's not using it it could be surging back. Just a guess.

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
A bad fan (video, CPU, PSU, case, whatever) can cause a bunch of bizarre power related issues. Most likely the fan is still trying to pull juice, but since it's not using it it could be surging back to the PSU causing it to short momentarily. Just a guess, but happened to me once with a CPU fan.

OP
Allnatural

Allnatural

You all do understand that I haven't received the 420W PSU yet? I'm using my old 350W until the new part arrives, so I'm holding out hope that the upgrade will eliminate the problem.

Allnatural, you should get your money back for that card, it may be broken, or it's a driver bug, I heard something of a similar bug in a certain driver who triggers the low-power message.
I've also read about that, but I've been using the same drivers for months and the problem only recently appeared. I updated yesterday (was long overdue) and the problem persists. I really hope the card isn't the issue; It's only a year old.

OP
Allnatural

Allnatural

Well, looks like the old PSU was the problem after all. Just installed the new 420W model and all is well, so far. While poking around my case I noticed a capacitor that was slightly swollen. Will have to watch that...

Last edited:

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Allnatural said:
Well, looks like the old PSU was the problem after all. Just installed the new 420W model and all is well, so far. While poking around my case I noticed a capacitor that was slightly swollen. Will have to watch that...

Warning, Epox motherboards are known to have capacitor failures!!!

It's likely that Epox is using literally el-cheapo capacitors :(.

http://badcaps.net