What's new

Invisible Mario

elpecasjose2

OS: Windows me CPU: AMD Athlon 1000 Video: Nvidea 128 Sound: Who cares Memory: 256 sdram

I have tried all the rice plugins but when mario grabs the ghost cap he always disappears. you can only see his shadow. why is that? :term:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
That's because Rice's plugin does not emulate the dissolve effect that is used when Mario uses the invisible cap. Other plugins (like Jabos video plugin and Glide64) show Mario transparent (this is not right but you can see Mario and it makes you understand that you are invisible). However, the dissolve effect is emulated with Orkin's glN64 and Direct64 so you may want to try them :)

Rice

Emulator Developer
If someone can upload a saved state, I can then try to do something.

Some screen shots with correct dissolving effects will be great, too.

Last edited:

Orkin

d1R3c764 & g1|\|64 m4|<3R
Mario 64 is using dithered alpha testing for this.

In glN64 this is accomplished through a random (actually, pregenerated on ROM startup) stipple pattern (hacked way, only works in Mario 64).

In Direct64 I used a noise texture (created same way as stipple pattern) with a clip() command against the combined alpha in the pixel shader (more correct way, should work in all cases).

Rice

Emulator Developer
orkin, thanks very much.

Just for DirectX, it would be a problem for non-pixel-shader combiners. I will see why I can do, or just don't do it but to disable alpha compare for dither mode.

Locutus

I got Direct64 v0.5 ALPHA (is there a newer version out there... if so where can I find it?) anywho, I haven't been able to get it to work. Every time I try to use it I get this (see image)... Anyone know how I can fix it? ...or what I did wrong?