What's new

I have an N64/PSX pad converter, the PSX controller works, but the N64 spasms out..

SimonSayers

Yeah, I have this device which allows me to plug in both controllers. The Ps1 controller works fine with ePSXe.

However I received my N64 controller today and was excited to try it out, but when I selected the device in PJ64, it acts strange..

When you click a button to remap a key it AUTO matically maps it to the Button 'Rz -'.

I went into my computers control panel then to the game pad option, I went to test it and the input buttons were lighting up like a Christmas tree....without me even touching buttons.

predicament4yv.jpg

Imagine those lights flashing on and off randomly, and the crosshair moving around randomly also. It's like it's having a seizure.

How can I configure it properly?

Smiff

Emutalk Member
you need a different controller or a different adapter. your controller-adapter combination is incompatible, or the adapter is faulty (these adapters are always faulty really, its a question of how fussy about controllers they are).

Allnatural

SimonSayers said:
Incompatable? Doubt it

I bet i'm just doing something wrong / need to get something
It's a common problem. There's nothing you can do other than try other controllers and adapters; find a combination that works.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
gah, people here know a lot about this ok. there's a huge thread in general n64 emulation (where this should have been anyway).

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
I had a similar problem with my adapter. You just have to keep tapping it until it maps the right key. That worked for me anyway!!

FatJacky

This is the mysterious number 3 in the sticky that AllNatural posted. The exact same thing is happening to me, on all 4 of my N64 controllers. However, I've read that the old controllers may be the suspect for this. All mine were bought back in '96/97 when the N64 was launched. I've since ordered a new one from Nintendo.com and will post my results as soon as it gets here.

axcc123

Hungry For Answers
SimonSayers said:
Yeah, I have this device which allows me to plug in both controllers. The Ps1 controller works fine with ePSXe.

However I received my N64 controller today and was excited to try it out, but when I selected the device in PJ64, it acts strange..

When you click a button to remap a key it AUTO matically maps it to the Button 'Rz -'.

I went into my computers control panel then to the game pad option, I went to test it and the input buttons were lighting up like a Christmas tree....without me even touching buttons.

predicament4yv.jpg

Imagine those lights flashing on and off randomly, and the crosshair moving around randomly also. It's like it's having a seizure.

How can I configure it properly?

i notice with the adaptoid that the n64 controller shows up a 4 axis 14 button controller. that adapter says its a 4axis 16 button controller weird

Jefix

The way to fix this is problem is quite easy.

Simply plug in your PSX and your N64 Controller at the same time. Then go back to the Game pad option and then Calibrate it. It should work.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Jefix said:

Simply plug in your PSX and your N64 Controller at the same time. Then go back to the Game pad option and then Calibrate it. It should work.

that often, but not always, works

FatJacky

Jefix said:

I'll confirm that this didn't work for me either. In fact, the PSX controller did the same thing, but instead of crazy buttons it did the crazy analog stick. :(

Allnatural

FatJacky said:
I'll confirm that this didn't work for me either. In fact, the PSX controller did the same thing, but instead of crazy buttons it did the crazy analog stick. :(
I've noticed the same thing with PSX pads. The analog input doesn't completely spaz out, but it doesn't maintain center very well. I assume it's a problem with the pads themselves, since N64 sticks are fine. Also, I've noticed that the analog sticks on my PS2 pads (when using the actual console) are a bit flaky at times; probably a design flaw on Sony's part.

FatJacky

Well, the new N64 controller came in the mail and I guess I'm just one of the unlucky ones, as this controller had the crazy buttons syndrome as well. I'll see if the vendor can get me another one...

Allnatural

FatJacky said:
Well, the new N64 controller came in the mail and I guess I'm just one of the unlucky ones, as this controller had the crazy buttons syndrome as well. I'll see if the vendor can get me another one...
Sorry to hear that. These things seem to get worse and worse...

FatJacky

I ended up taking the PSX/N64 adapter apart to see why the thing is so jacked up. All of the solder connections were rock solid (Little secret, I'm a micro-electronics engineer at Intel). After several days of tweaking, experimenting, etc, the only conclusion I could make is that the dual inline IC used is a P.O.S.

Onward 2 weeks later...

Dear lord almighty! I purchased an Adaptoid on ebay. My god...it's simply amazing. Plug and freakin play. I noticed the backside has three screws that can be removed to see the guts of the Adaptoid. I'm just crazy enough to remove those and find out what's inside. But for the time being, I'm playing PJ64 w00t!

now...to get my PC hooked up the plasma somehow...

Last edited: