What's new

How to emulate playstation games

maddawg4

I am new please help. What do i need to emulate playstation 1 games. I dont understand the bios thing. Can someone tell me what i need and maybe tell me the process to set it up.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
The emulator pSX is very easy to use. Yes, you need a BIOS. It's a file available somewhere on the net, but we can't tell you where it is or how to find it, because it's illegal.
When configurating the emulator, you'd specify the path to the bios file and setup the controllers, and that's pretty much all.

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
Way to help the newbie out... "Google it". Stupid google, with its all-encompassing archive of knowledge.

maddawg4, first... download ePSXe 1.6.0, find it at... you guessed it... epsxe.com. Yay.

Now, head on over to 'Pete's Domain'... you'll know if your there if you shudder at the horrendous color scheme. *shudders*. Download his "PSX GPU Plugins" first... (pssst, its the one at the top of that page). Next, pick up his "PSX SPU Plugins"... (at the top again).

Okay, so you got ePSXe... find its "Plugin" folder... extract the GPU and SPU plugins in that folder.

Now scour the internet for the file "scph1001.bin"... its the mystical bios file foretold in legends past. Be wary, many a folk have succumb to viral infection on their path to glorious emulation. Whats the big deal, the rules don't say 'thou shall not name ye"

Alright, stick that hoe in the... wait for it... wait for it... "Bios" folder of epsxe! Mkay.

So all the pieces are ont the board. Open up ePSXe and click "Config". Select the Video and Sound plugins from the drop down menu. Theres some options you can select within each... forget about those until you run into a problem.

Okay so the machinery is in place, hurray. Now, in my experience playing psx off cds is a headache... so forget that. Get yourself an 'image' burning program that will make .iso files out of your discs. I like 'Alcohol 120%'... perhaps because alochol is my friend. I like friends. Yay. Especially free friends whose trial editions never seem to expire.

Put the .iso file (or .bin sometimes) wherever... usually theres 2 files that accompany it... ones .cue and the other one is .ccd i think. Keep those bad boys together. Now, fire up epsxe: File>Run ISO. Cha-ching.

Troubleshooting

^lordkane.co.uk^

Last edited:

JKKDARK

To dump a PlayStation BIOS, you need a GameShark or Action replay and a PC comms link. To start, you need either a real Caetla module or go to altavista and search for "Caetla" (it's a BIOS replacement for your module, so properly read the included documentation before installing it!!). Now upload "Caetla", and use use the caetla commands for downloading a binary memory image from the region 0x0bfc00000 - 0x0bfc7ffff! Now save the image as SCPHxxxx.bin, where xxxx is your PSX's model number, and ePSXe will recognise it and use it from now on.

Doomulation

Way to help the newbie out... "Google it". Stupid google, with its all-encompassing archive of knowledge.
The bios are not hard to find. And downloading them is illegal to boot. Therefore we do not provide links to such things.

maddawg4, first... download ePSXe 1.6.0, find it at... you guessed it... epsxe.com. Yay.
Or just download pSX. Little or no configuring and it works very well. I was able to get perfect results on FF8 with little work as compared to ePSXe, which I couldn't get any good results at all.

To dump a PlayStation BIOS...
'Tis best not to discuss how to dump such a thing.

zaba_3

The bios are not hard to find. And downloading them is illegal to boot. Therefore we do not provide links to such things.

Or just download pSX. Little or no configuring and it works very well. I was able to get perfect results on FF8 with little work as compared to ePSXe, which I couldn't get any good results at all.

'Tis best not to discuss how to dump such a thing.

Its illegal to use your own bios?

Doomulation

Its illegal to use your own bios?

No, but downloading BIOS (downloading copyrighted material without proper permission) is illegal.
And though backing up your own BIOS may be legal, many would frown on it, including the owning companies.