What's new

Hori N64 Mini Pad with emulator?

regnad

Anybody gotten the Hori Mini Pad N64 controller to work with PJ64?

I scored a Hori for a mere 300 yen (about $3.50) and was all excited to use it.

I have a Mayflash USB adapter that works great with an original controller, but the analog stick goes crazy with the Hori.

There is also the Retrozone N64 USB adapter. I wrote the manufacturer asking if it works with the Hori, but have yet to hear back.

I also found something called Raphnet that makes adapters, but don't know a thing about it. Anyone know if this'll work with a Hori?

Anything else?

Ideally I'd like to figure out a way to get it to work with the Mayflash because I don't want to buy anything else, but I have no idea how.

OP
R

regnad

Please someone help!

Calibration with the Hori controller and Mayflash adapter is a mess.

The + during calibration just jumps all over the place. Is there a solution? Is there a trick to calibration? Or a tool/application that would help?

Thanks in advance!

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
If the Windows Control Panel [Game Controllers] is not able to calibrate the controller properly, throw the controller or the USB adapter in the trash. If said controller comes with its own drivers, install those.

OP
R

regnad

It seems, from someone on another message board, that not only does the Hori not work with Mayflash adapters, it also doesn't work with Boom adapters, RetroZone Adapters, or even the rare Adaptoid. Jury still out on Raphnet, the manufacturer of which doesn't answer emails apparently.

No need to throw out every adapter, eh?

And Hori Mini Pads, which work fine with actual N64 consoles, are highly coveted. Used ones go for $70 and up on the net. In addition to being extremely rare outside of Japan, many many people consider them by far the best controller for the N64. Good reason to want to use it with an N64 emulator.

No need to throw that in the trash either.

And of course it doesn't come with its own drivers, for the same reason an original N64 controller doesn't come with drivers. The thing's over ten years old and intended for the console.

Any solution? Why would this happen?

Last edited:

Agozer

It was just my two cents based on what people have posted over the years. That doesn't mean that you should take it as gospel.

There is never any 100% guarantee that a pad made specifically for a game console will work on a PC that runs an emulator that emulates a video game console, simply because some console controller adapters for the PC are either sketchy at best, or the controller itself was put together in a way that prevents it from working properly even with "good" adapters. (Why N64 adapters/pads seemingly have the worst track record in my eyes is beyond me.)

Personally, I chose to avoid all this kind of headache and bought a PC gamepad, one that has enough buttons, decent analog sticks and supports rumble. Granted, the button placement isn't optimal for the N64, but that's a very minor gripe.

Last edited:
OP
R

regnad

What did you get?

Any recommendations? Rumble would be nice. That plus six buttons on the right side is a tough one to find.

Agozer

Hasn't got six buttons on the right side (well, face button-wise), but I bought a Logitech Rumblepad 2. Works like a charm.

Last edited:
OP
R

regnad

The six buttons is kind of a must for me. Banjo Kazooie and DK64 with a second analog stick is too clumsy.

Are there any controllers with both rumble and a six-button layout?

Alunalun

I have a Saitek P2600 which has six face buttons on the right, and supports rumble with the default drivers and plugins.
(One tiny gripe is that the START button can't go in the middle, I put it on one of the four shoulder buttons)
It doesn't seem to be in production any more, though, but you can probably still buy them.

I hate trying to map digital buttons (especially camera) to the analogue stick because you instinctively expect an analogue response.
Having said that, I played Banjo-Tooie with an Xbox controller, with A on A, B on X, C-up on Y, C-down on B, C-left on left trigger and C-right on right trigger.
C left/right and C up/down do really quite separate things for camera control so that worked quite well. And the hold-Z-and-press-C moves that you get on Banjo and DK64 worked OK like this too.

Last edited: