What's new

HiRes textures very slow

beshwa

Hi,

I have a Debian box running mupen64 0.5. It works well as far as I've used it and HiRes textures (I'm using Federelli's pack) on OOT look great :bouncy: but are very slow. My hardware should be fast enough, I'd think - athlon64 3000+ and nvidia 6600gt.
Other OpenGL apps (doom3) or directX games via wine (like HL2) are certainly fast. I get around 6000 fps in glxgears w/o any AA, anistropic filtering or the like.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
is it slower than with normal textures ? and what are you calling slow ? (how many vi/s do you get ?)

OP
B

beshwa

about 22-23 vi/s with Hires, very choppy audio, pretty much unplayable. I get 55-60 vi/s with normal textures.

aminalshmu

linux gaming enthusiast
same exact problem... beshwa, we need to figure out what is common to our systems but not hack's. :eek:)

OP
B

beshwa

OK. I've got a Debian amd64 3000+ machine, pure64 install (so I'm running mupen in a 32-bit chroot). I've got an nvidia GT6600 card in the machine with 7147 drivers. Maybe Hacktarux could post his RiceVideo.cfg?

OP
B

beshwa

Actually, loading a quicksave is looking OK. Just seems that the opening segment is very slow. I'll have to try Hyrule Field in game.

aminalshmu

linux gaming enthusiast
hmm, my system is gentoo, pentium 4 2.8ghz, geforcefx 5200, nvidia drivers 7676.

some parts of the game don't seem to be slowed down by the hires textures, but maybe when it is using a lot of them at once, it suffers a pretty big performance loss? i get 20vi/s when the game first starts up, and then the intro movie when you start a new game is about the same. in kokiri forest i get 45. water temple is around 60, maybe a little below. temple of time 60, lon lon ranch a little below 60. going into hyrule field i get a constant 15-25. after seeing that i couldn't play it any more :)

without hires textures it never drops below 60vi/s, except the main menu where it is about 40.

Last edited: