What's new

Hi all, Goldeneye help needed.

DJFonti

Hello all, first post here. I've only played Goldeneye a little before, but have obviously heard of the universal praise it gets everywhere, so I have decided to give it a proper look. I have it, and I am using project64. I've managed to hook up my Playstation 2 controller to my PC, and was wondering if someone who is experienced in playing this game and using the PS/2 pad could help map out the controls for me. What would you recommend as the most comfortable controller settings for the PS2 pad on this game.....here is a picture of the controller settings tab on project64, which I'm sure you're all familiar with................

....now, not being over-familiar with an N64 pad, I don't know what the above button names are referring to, so could someone helpful be willing to tell me what buttons to push on my PS2 pad when setting the controls in relation to the titles above, so that I can get the most enjoyable experience using this pad on this game. I appreciate the experience of the game will not be perfect not using the N64 pad, but with such a comfortable pad as the PS2 one, I expect it to be playable. Thank you for your help and congrats on a great site...:flowers:

Lizard Blade

Z button is used to fire your weapon, B button is used to reload and use items, A button is used to change your weapon, C buttons are used to strafe and to look up and down while moving. While R is held, you can look around freely with the analog stick but cannot move. The digital pad is not used in Goldeneye. Start pauses and confirms menus.

I use a Logitech controller that is identical in design to the PS2 pad. I map R and C right to the right shoulder buttons, Z and C left to the left shoulder buttons, put A, B, C up and C down on the face of the pad. You might also map the C buttons to the right stick or the digital pad with decent results though.

Woot, my 100th post is a helpful one!

OP
D

DJFonti

Thanks for the prompt response Lizard Blade. So let me get this straight.

You map as follows:

N64 - R to PS2 R1
N64 - C right to PS2 r2
N64 - Z to PS2 L1
N64 - C left to PS2 L2
N64 - A to PS2 X
B to PS2 square

N64 - C up to PS2 triangle
C down to PS2 Circle

?

If so, I'll give that a whirl....is it nicely playable on that? Thanks again...

Toasty

Sony battery
I'd suggest something like this:

N64 control -> PS2 control
Joystick -> Left joystick
A -> X
B -> Square
C buttons -> Right joystick
Start -> Start
D-pad -> D-pad
Z -> L1
L -> L2
R -> R1

Do whatever floats your boat though. :)

OP
D

DJFonti

Again Toasty, thanks for the reply. After much searching, I managed to finally locate a goldeneye manual on the web, and your 'map' is virtually exactly the same as mine, whereas I have have 'Z' as L2 and 'L' as 'L1'. Now that I have the manual, I'll ue both your maps and just experiment, given that it is a standard 1st person shooter I should be able to get a decent playing experience out of it.

Miretank

Lurking
It is a good config too Lizard Blade :)

But I guess the "C - Analog" is more like an universal setup for N64 games. Look Mario 64, it's a lot better to have the C buttons on the right stick. :)

Toasty

Sony battery
Yeah, it does tend to vary depending on what game you're playing. Using the right joystick is one way to map the C buttons and is usually my first choice, but that always bugged me in the Gamecube releases of Zelda OOT and MM. It seemed like it was easier to play the songs when you had buttons to push instead of pointing a joystick to each note. (I'm sure I remember being able to play the Song of Time in 0.05 seconds flat on the N64, but on the Gamecube was a bit trickier. ;))