What's new

Help with Wii Emulation

rodzandz

Just for the heck of it, I'm trying out some Wii DVDs with the emulator.
So far, I haven't been able to make anything work.

My questions are:

Is there a compatibility thread for Wii Games?
What is the correct way of launching Wii games? (just sticking the DVD in your PC and choosing File>Boot from DVD drive)?? Or am I supposed to make an ISO file from them?

The Games I've tried so far:

Smash Bros Brawl (Getting a "Please Insert Super Smash Bros Brawl Disc" Message)

Punch Out (Nothing. Black screen.)

Super Mario Galaxy (A second after the title appears I get the message "connect the <> to player 1's <>) Can't advance from there.

Metroid Corruption (getting into the menu screen with really messed up text. Can't advance into the game. Music plays ok.)

Any ideas?

Make ISO'S of your games. Most of the games you listed work just fine, so either your PC is not good enough to run the emulator or you're using an old build of Dolphin.

Next time you should provide us with some more info, like PC specs, the Dolphin revision you're using and even if the games you've tried are NTSC or PAL.

OP
R

rodzandz

Sorry... Forgot the basics.

Basic Specs:
Intel C2D E6700 @ 3.00 Ghz
Geforce GTX 280 1GB GDDR3
2GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 PC9600 Ram @ 1200Mhz
Windows XP Pro SP3

I'm running Dolphin Rev 4312

Any Advise?

P.S. Updates:

After making an ISO file from the Smash Bros. Brawl DVD, I'm still getting a screen saying "Please insert the Super Smash Bros. Brawl game Disc"
Dolphin emu does recognize the game in it's game menu.

Super Mario Galaxy is now playable (directly from the DVD) after I enabled the "Nunchuck" option under emulated extension in the Wiimote menu.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the only version of Brawl that worked was the PAL version. I also have the PAL version of Punchout and that works well also. The region of the game is not always the problem and most times both will work about the same, so don't think it's all about PAL versions at this point.

Your PC specs look good to run most games very well, so the only other thing I can tell you is to try different options in the configs and see what works. Try enabling/disabling dual core and see if some games run or run better, try both video plugins and see what happens. Generally just experiment to see what works best for you. You can also try using the DolphinIL.exe and also the Dolphin.exe, If you have an IL build of Dolphin. Some games also seem to act differently on a 32-bit operating system compared to a 64-bit one, so as you can see there are many things that can change the way games react.

Hope that helps somewhat.

OP
R

rodzandz

I do have the NTSC version... so that *may* be the problem.
I'll try out your suggestions anyways!

Anywho.... Is there a live compatibility thread which is being updated with each new REV Release?

The compatibility list at the Dolphin homepage seems to be pretty outdated...

Thanks for your replies!

There are a few compat lists here and there but the Dolphin Dev team is not finished with the emulator and things can always change for the better or the worse and I really do not want to guide you to an outdated compat list or one that is based on some others opinions who really have no idea what is going on.