What's new

Help with PJ64

Is your processor overclocked? Even if it is not overclocked your power supply could be drawing too much power trying to run those high requirement games and crashing. That happened to me when my power supply was about to die, it's just a guess though.

Tre

Oops. Died again.
It's ~extremely~ likely that your computer is overheating and causing it to reset itself while you are running these two games. The reason I am saying this is because you are using a laptop that features core-duo processors... and while it has "sufficient resources" to run PJ64, these games are VERY processor hungry games, and will cause your system to use the bulk of it's resources to run them... and in the process overheat the laptop.

I have the same problem with my laptop, even though I have a "chill mat" by Targus that draws the heat away from it.

How long does it take (while playing) for the computer to reset itself? Is it right away, or is there a period of time before it just resets itself? And when it resets, does your laptop (especially the bottom and the back) feel hotter than usual? If it's feeling hot and resets after it's been running for a little while, you're experiencing overheating leading to a reset.

Which is normal for laptops and desktops. Most computers will become "unstable" and reset when the internal temperature of the cpu reaches 73 ºC / 163 ºF... I can only assume this is to prevent the chip from cracking. The only suggestion I would have is to try keeping your laptop as cool as possible when you try to play the games and see if that helps.

X-Fi6

Tre is right about the overheating, but he's exaggerating a bit. Even with this cruddy computer with an ATI XPress 200 it runs the games just fine. But with Rice, *shivers* it CAN get pretty bad.

OP
N

Norway

I havn't noticed it being hot, but my computer restarts when I see the first guard in the first mission in Goldeneye. It let me run the menu but not when the mission starts. Is there a way to fix this?

Tre

Oops. Died again.
There are other likely causes of your laptop resetting... one of which could be that your Acer laptop uses an intergrated Intel graphics card (video card) which might cause it to reset on some games. The other cause could be the plugins you are using for PJ64. Heck, it might even be your Operating System.

Since overheating has been ruled out here, it would be helpful to know if you are on Vista or Windows XP. Who knows, Vista might have some issues with PJ64 (can't really say, as I only use XP myself). And if you're on XP, it might be the plugins you are using.

Have you tried playing ~other~ N64 games on PJ64? If so, do they play fine without causing a restart? It would help us try to offer better suggestions to help you play the games.

X-fi6: I'm sort of curious... are you using a laptop, or a desktop? My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite a60 series with an ATI card and is ~very~ prone to overheating and resetting (or just turning off) when I use it to play PJ64 games. I stopped using the laptop for gaming, and just stick to my desktop because it got to be a pain to have to save constantly and stop playing when it becomes too hot.

X-Fi6

The computer with the ATI XPress 200 chip is a desktop.

My laptop used to have an Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME graphics chip with Intel Extreme Graphics 2 (until the monitor got the dreaded running line through it and I could fix it by squeezing it but eventually I cracked the entire monitor that way so I got rid of it).

The laptop also ran N64 games quite well (but not nearly as well as a graphics card). If you're having trouble performance-wise, Jabo's DirectX 6 plugin actually is the least performance-needing plugin that still displays most games correctly.

Tre

Oops. Died again.
I'm thankful I'm not dealing with an Intel Graphics card on my laptop, but I still hate having it overheat. I was using all the default plugins... but it didn't really help. Plus it really isn't fast enough to run at full speed anyway, so I am just sticking with my desktop.

p_025

Voted Least Likely to Succeed
If I were you I'd run memtest86 on your computer. I had a bad RAM stick in here, and PJ64 would kill my computer. I don't know how you could fix it in a laptop exactly and I'm far too lazy to do any kind of research. Main thing is, bad RAM can cause major issues, so if you do run Memtest86 and you find a problem, that's probably what's causing it. For me, it would run ok for a little while, then any display I had hooked up would just go black (sometimes with a video glitch) and the sound would cut out.

Tre

Oops. Died again.
I know the laptop's memory is fine, tested that out before with Toshiba's internal memory tests. Though I will have to try out Memtest on one or two of my older computers that I KNOW have a bad ram chip somewhere.