What's new

Help me speed up n64 emulation

burgerman85

Hey guys, hope you can help me out here. It might be totally out of luck, but who knows, we will see.

I've got a semi-crappy pc that i'd like to run an n64 emulator on. The specs are as follows:

CPU: Celeron 566 oc'd to 708mhz
RAM: 512mb 133mhz
Video Card: GeForce FX5200
128mb ram
supports directx9 and opengl 1.4

Running 1964 0.9.9

I can get some games to run at playable speeds, yet not perfect. Games such as super smash bro's(38-41fps) and 1080(22-24fps) are kinda playable. But Goldeneye, for example, runs at 10-13fps.

plugins: Rice video 6.1.1 beta10
Azimer's Audio Plugin v0.56 WIP 2
n-rage input

running the video at 640x480 full screen through s-video out to the TV

Got any ideas on how to speed up the fps, maybe even just a little bit?

If you need any other specs, just post

Prince Kassad

Forget playing Goldeneye with that computer, you won't be able to get it to run at an acceptable speed.

With Rice's Video you get a lot of Options. You should probably disable framebuffer and hide render-to-texture effects (both of these settings can be found under the current game options while the game is running).

If you won't get an acceptable speed with that, you should get Glide64 and a wrapper for it. It's usually a fast plugin, especially on slow computers.

Iconoclast

CPU: Celeron 566 oc'd to 708mhz
RAM: 512mb 133mhz
Video Card: GeForce FX5200
128mb ram
supports directx9 and opengl 1.4
You just contradicted yourself. Do you have 128 MB RAM or 512 MB RAM?

Sometimes, Jabo's Direct3D 8 is faster than Rice's Video Plugin, but that depends on your system. Try configuring Rice's Video Plugin and setting the rendering engine option on the General Options tab to OpenGL, or downloading and using glN64 or Glide64 as your graphics plugin. OpenGL plugins may be faster for you than DirectX plugins.

OP
B

burgerman85

err...128mb vram for the video card

tried glide64 and its slower than rice's

opengl is definately slower than directx

i guess im out of luck ;(

Iconoclast

Of course not. Obviously, the real thing you should be doing is upgrading your hardware. It's really not that hard to do and is, by far, the best solution, if it isn't the only one.

OpenGL is not slower than DirectX, that's just for you. It depends on your system.

Rice's Daedalus is faster than Rice's Video Plugin; try that.

mudlord

Banned
burgerman85, also your CPU makes rather a large difference on emulation speed. Judging from the speed and model of your CPU, I'm honestly extremely suprised that Goldeneye even works, as that early-model Intel Celerons are budget-minded, and so they are not really built for stuff like this.

Goldeneye is one of those games in that it demands very high system requirements, and even the original N64 version is known to run sluggish at points. Upgrading your CPU should make rather a large difference, especially if upgrading from a Celeron CPU.

OP
B

burgerman85

Cpu's for my board

how much do you think upgrading to a p3 tualatin 1.2ghz would make a difference?

this is about the max you can go with my mobo for a reasonable price. Looks like they go for about $30-40 on ebay.

It makes a big difference and the new processor allows you to emulate normal N64 games in full speed. You should probably get it as it's a lot better than that celeron.

scratch that...the highest "supported" cpu is a p3 coppermine 1.0ghz

Last edited by a moderator:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Have you looked for updated firmware? Updating firmware can add more supported CPUs to your system.

OP
B

burgerman85

not sure why the tualatins are on the list if they are "not supported"

I think I'm gonna need more than just a cpu upgrade. My system is quite old...

I got a few mobo's from a friend awhile ago and I'm thinkin' i might be able to trade in my old system's mobo/cpu/ram + a newer mobo for a sempron or athlon xp cpu/ddr ram

Which brings me to another question: How does the athlon xp compare to a sempron in terms of n64 emulation?

What is the recommended cpu speed for n64 emulation? will a athlon xp 2000+ do?

How much does a athlon xp or sempron cpu go for?

Sorry for turning this into a computer help thread, just looking for some quick answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
B

burgerman85

ARghhh...The CPU socket on the motherboard happens to be socket A (462) so it looks like my choices will be rather limited.

do you think a sempron 2800+ for $46 is a good price and will get the job done?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Yes, I will say it probably will. An Athlon will do more than a Semperon, but a 2800+ isn't a bad thing. It should run most games quite well.

jobro

Speeding up emulation has also to do with sound. Disable 3d positioned sounds / effects such as reverb etc. if you can. That eats alot of power and will hopefully make your emulator run faster.

OP
B

burgerman85

i messed with the set it to automatic frame skip and messed with the counter factor

believe it or not, goldeneye runs almost full speed :bouncy: