What's new

Help! Demul won't boot up at all.

onetymeohnly

Whenever I run the app it shows the command window and then it gives me the "send error report" popup. I have installed all the latest C++ from 2005, 2008, and 2010 and updated DirectX 9 with the June redistributable and still nothing.

Demul 0.5.6
Windows XP x86
nVidia GTX 460
2gb RAM

Can someone ask CaH4e3 in the Russian forum if that one is more active? I would really appreciate it because I haven't seen this problem much through google.

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
There could be any number of reasons why any given program closes with a generic Windows error message, and there is no concrete way of telling what caused the error. You can start by making sure that your video card drivers are up to date.

Last edited:
OP
onetymeohnly

onetymeohnly

Hi Agozer, thank you for replying. I'm on the latest driver and the problem still occurs. Would it be helpful if I posted a screenshot of the error report (since I can't copy the text)?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Like I (sort of) hinted at earlier, the generic error message is generic for a reason. If the error message would be directly related to DirectX for example, the error would no longer be of the generic type and thus much easier to troubleshoot.

The generic error message consists of modules used during some operation that failed, and a truckload of hex code. None of this means anything, unless you happen to be a seasoned developer, and have most likely worked on the Windows kernel extensively during your employment at Microsoft.

p.s. The above was light sarcasm, but not that far from the actual truth.

More often than not, these messages are the result of some driver conflict between your system and the application you are trying to run, hence why I'm giving you the "up to date"-advice.

Last edited:
OP
onetymeohnly

onetymeohnly

I may have come off as too demanding for a new poster. I can see what you're coming from, and I can take sarcasm, don't worry. It's just a little frustrating to have this problem after finally getting a new card mainly to use for this purpose and have it not work. I should have expected it though, being Windows. I have taken your advice positively, and I will try to go through a laundry list of driver updates, starting with a Microsoft Update.

Funplayer

I'm also having this problem,

Windows Vista Home
radeon hd 4850
dual core 3.2 athalon cpu
2 gigs ddr2 ram

I have already gone through my driver list and looked everywhere for updates, and checked for conflicts with my graphics drivers. Since I updated my graphics drivers earlier today, that was a dead first given that they didn't need an update. I went for updates for the remainder of my list, and I still came up with the same problem at the end.

I have no clue why it wont work. After I double click, it shows the command prompt with no words and then I get the generic windows error message followed by no information afterwords. I have tried running it in every mode possible, and I always turn up the same results. So I turned here.

I dunno how to make this thing boot. I just want to play my old dreamcast games, because my dreamcast no longer works. Thanks for reading.