What's new

Graphics problems.

SlickStretch

While playing Skies of Arcadia on Chankast, I'm having major graphics problems. Mainly missing walls and floors. I uploaded a video on YouTube to demonstrate. The video runs slowly because my PC has trouble running the recorder and the game at the same time. But, notice the missing floor under his feet. This is what I'm aiming to fix. I've tried changing the Zwrite options, but they don't seem to help. Any ideas?

Here's the URL for the video:

Here's a pic:
SOA.jpg

Last edited:

Xtreme2damax

Agozer said:
Switch to nullDC.

I don't understand why people are still trying to use Chankast? nullDC can play all the games Chankast does and more except with better speed and compatibility. :rolleyes:

Maybe a staff member should put a big sticky up in this forum titled, "Problems with Chankast? Use nullDC instead." or "Don't use Chankast anymore, use nullDC" with an explanation why in the sticky.

I just can believe there are still people who don't know about nullDC and continue to use Chankast especially with all the news posted about nullDC.

It is advised to no longer use Chankast. For all intensive purposes, Chankast is now declared dead. (not indefinitely, only until news that it's dead is submitted or news or news of a new update is announced) Chankast has not received any updates or news of any updates since 2005 which has lead to this assumption (I know epsxe hasn't either since 2003). A variety of issues, bugs and glitches exist in Chankast and Demul that nullDC has solved. As far as it is determined, there is a good chance Chankast will not receive any more updates so most games will not work, produce severe graphical glitches or corruption, bugs and other issues which will make you unable to play or complete the game. ;)

Chankast's compatibility is also extremely poor so as mentioned a lot of games will not work or have severe issues. A variety of issues fixed in nullDC over Chankast and Demul:

Modifier volumes, shadows and a variety of other fixes features have been added such as Sonic Adventure 2 is now playable on Nvidia cards, You can see King Boom boo's shadow in SA2 allowing you to beat him, sound is much better and does not cut out like in Chankast, various Resident Evil: Code Veronica fixes such as the Luger room and when you exit the sub no longer produces garbled or corrupted graphics. Other games have a variety of fixes as well.

Head over to the nullDC forum and have a look at the sticky's for yourself to see:

http://forums.ngemu.com/nulldc-discussion/

G'Day, X2DM.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
I don't understand why people are still trying to use Chankast?
Well, for one, nullDC doesn't have it's own dedicated homepage. Two, nullDC doesn't have it's own forum here.

People are forced to start googling and if they happen to be completely new to Dreamcast emulation, they'll grab the first thing that seems to have garnered enough attention in message boards, without bothering to find out about possible alternatives.

Xtreme2damax

Well, for one, nullDC doesn't have it's own dedicated homepage. Two, nullDC doesn't have it's own forum here.

People are forced to start googling and if they happen to be completely new to Dreamcast emulation, they'll grab the first thing that seems to have garnered enough attention in message boards, without bothering to find out about possible alternatives.

It would be nice for nullDC to get it's own section here since Chankast is not active now, with no further updates or news released. As for Demul, I haven't heard anything on that or news since the end of last year/beginning of this year

I'm wondering when drkraziel will get a homepage set up for nullDC, seems he might not have the resources or time to set up webpage at the time on a decent host which may be why nullDC is lacking it's own official webpage.

Once everything is set up and can be accessed via google, I have a feeling the users attempting to use Chankast for their games as well as questions related to Chankast will die somewhat akin to like it is right now. ;)

JKKDARK

@ Xtreme2damax:

Emulation is a hobby, not a competition. Why someone shouldn't try other emulators besides nullDC?
Also many people said they had problems with nullDC so they switched to Chankast.

Xtreme2damax

@ Xtreme2damax:

Emulation is a hobby, not a competition. Why someone shouldn't try other emulators besides nullDC?
Also many people said they had problems with nullDC so they switched to Chankast.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, there are still a lot of known issues on Chankast that haven't been solved which prevent many games from being played or completed.

Sonic Adventure 2 doesn't work on Nvidia cards in Chankast without severe graphical problems, RE:CV has graphical issues when in the Luger room after removing the golden lugers from the wall as well as after existing the sub by the palace, Sound cuts out at random times requiring to reset the emulator. A lot of other games have severe graphical issues, glitches and bugs which prevent the game from being played or finished.

Nearly all of these issues are solved with nullDC, and a lot more games are compatible with nullDC than Chankast.

Since there has been no further updates or news of Chankast or Demul now, I am recommending a more up to date, compatible and overall better DC emulator.

Chankast is going to cause more heartache than it's worth trying to get games to work or play them while these same games can be played flawlessly or nearly flawlessly on nullDC.

Also most of the problems that are arising with nullDC and users is because of not Reading the Manual. Most of them have either downloaded corrupt or non-bootable images, or aren't installing the libraries required by nullDC to work. nullDC I believe works on integrated graphics now and has eliminated the need for pixel shaders unlike before. It should be playable on nearly any system out there now which meets the min requirements which honestly aren't that high for the speed benefit you get over Chankast and Demul.

I don't think it's a competition, I'm only suggesting an emulator that more compatible with better performance. Chankast tbh is now the dinosaur of the DC emulation scene. Using Chankast you are bound to get all sorts of problems, bugs and glitches that arise which cause more frustration than needed when one can simply use a better emulator which solves these issues and allow them to play or test a game they want to.

:Edit: Skies of Arcadia is fully playable/compatible without problems in nullDC. :p

http://forums.ngemu.com/1217054-post71.html

Last edited: