What's new

graphics card

minkster

im looking into changing my graphics card in my sony vaio laptop because i dont like my radeon. I am wondering if it costs more money to replace the graphics card in my laptop and do laptops use the same cards as desktops do? I appreciate your help thanx :saddam:

Allnatural

It's not the same type of hardware, and it's not exactly a user serviceable part. You're talking about a chip soldered to the board. Is it really worth the trouble, assuming it can be done with that particular laptop?

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
These days, yeah, some laptops "video cards" can be changed, depending on how new it is. But as Allnatural says, you should not do it. If your laptop supports it, check out the website/call the company on which your laptop is supported on. There, you can find out if your laptop supports it. Though even if it does, I'm not sure it can go from ATI to nVidia (assuming that's what you want). But to be sure, check with the company. If it does, you can send it in to them to get it done. Not sure about price though. Depending on what type of deal you got (warrinty and all), you may or may not have to pay for them to change it.
- Modem

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
I've been doing hardware for quite sometime, minus back when laptops were also called luggables, the video card you have is it. There is no changing it out for something else.

I'd personally like to see one of these new laptops that supposedly can have a new card/chip put in for the video. I do not beleive such a beast exists. Even a few Dell carries require the whole system board to be changed out to switch from a Intel Extreme 2 to a ATI 9100.

I'll eat crow if you show me one.

OP
minkster

minkster

i read up on upgrading laptop gfx cards and it looks like a pain in the ass :party: but is it still a pain in the ass to upgrade my card to a mobility radeon 9000 instead of switching to an nvidia card?

Last edited:

Maagic

Cherry Finish!
Changing the video card on a laptop is all but an impossibilty unless you have electronics expertise in that field. They're practically solid state at this point. There is a laptop with an external agp port though, i dont know if its made anymore. I think its name started with a B, and iirc John Carmack used it to program most of quake 3.

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
Don't you follow links? :p

Laptops (made by game companies) these days even show you HOW TO change it. Sheesh. Heh heh. :D
- Modem