What's new

Google and Webm and Open software abuse.

Cyberman

Google has in recent times begun pushing it's own standards through various open projects.

Webm being one, of the few (see Android, chrome etc.)

I have mixed and mostly negative opinion regarding this type of thing from Google. I feel it's a serious conflict of interest and has significant potential abuse. When I state significant, I mean legally questionable, and definitely a serious question of ethical turpitude on those creating these types of "initiatives". I believe gullible is the most appropriate use.

Webm is based on Matroska MKV format (I will have to dig through there standards documentation and then there code to see the difference), which is a very extensible and functional format (MKV that is). It is the successor to the OGM (which was the Ogg container format modified to become a more generalized container likely the inspiration for the creation of MKV).

I've edited out a lot of opinions of my own from this. I have my own feelings, and knowledge of the situations caused by these 'initiatives' by Google. I'm interested in what other people know and have experienced with "open source" being initiated by commercial entities such as Google.

Cyb

Toasty

Sony battery
IMO, when it comes down to WebM/VP8 vs. H.264, VP8 is the lesser of two evils. I trust MPEG-LA to keep H.264 freely usable about as much as I trust farts not to stink. That's not to say VP8 doesn't have its share of FUD surrounding it, but at least we don't know for a fact that MPEG-LA can pull it out from under us and force us to pay to use it a few years down the line. (/me wants software patents to die a horrible death so that things like this won't be an issue anymore.)

smcd

I agree @ Toasty... for things meant "to be used by everyone" (like the web, etc) completely open standards - with open source BSD/MIT/copyleft licensed reference code, 100% royalty free. kthxbai :p