What's new

Genesis SMD Split Rom Generation

CodeSlinger

Hi all,

I am making a genesis emu and have found that apparently there exists split smd roms which I guess means one rom split over multiple smd files. I want to make my emulator load these files but I cannot find a freeware rom in this format. I also cannot find a tool to convert a .bin rom to a split smd rom.

Does anyone know of a tool that does this?

I have tried the following tools with no luck (none of them allow saving of splitted smd):

GRom
RomConv
SBWin

Once I convert a bin rom into this format I will be able to convert it back to bin, then happy days.

Thanks

CS

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
There shouldn't be that many split ROMs floating around for the Genesis, being a relic of the past of sorts... so you're just making extra headache and work for yourself by trying to support a more or less obsolete ROM format, if you ask me. Just code support for the garden variety single file Genesis ROMs and call it a day.

Split ROM images were often done by certain copiers which split dumps based on floppy sizes (as floppies were their primary storage media). ROM tools usally merge split ROM images, and not the other way around.
If you really want split ROM iamge support in your emulator, my other suggestion would be to get in touch with other MD emulator developers, mainly those of Kega Fusion and Gens.

Last edited:

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
I think it's a really great idea to support something, that hasn't been supported before.
Yeah, it will need more work and research, but what's the reason to use a specifically emulator?
You are used to, it's the most compatible and/or the emulator with the most features.
I know there are some beta dumps, which only had a few parts of the rom dumped (3/4 in the last release I've seen) and it would be really interesting to see support for these subdumps.
Sadly I also can't provide additional information for genesis coding, I always was on the Red (Nintendo) side of the emulation... ;)