What's new

Geforce 5200 Flashing

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
I heard that the Geforce 5200 (yes guys, I know I have a crappy card) can be flashed and convert it into a 5500. My questions are: is this is possible? how can be done? it is safe?

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Uh.. why? It wouldn't do anything to help at all.

The 5500 is just a 5200 with a measly (20MHz) clock increase. Just overclock to 270MHz and be happy (although happiness isn't something that's possible with an FX 5200 ;)).

blight

i have an FX 5200 too, and i'm just as happy with it as i was with my GF2 GTS in my P3 733 MHz box

Clements

I so wouldn't risk that. BIOS flashing can go horribly wrong. Just overclock with coolbits or Rivatuner for a much safer OC.

rcgamer

the old guy
there is a utility that will let you flash a new bios using the system memory (meaning its not permanent) this will give you a chance to make sure the flashing will work. but of course now i cant remember the name of it. but i got it at guru3d.com.
I did flash mine but i wasnt worried about messing it up. I knew i was getting my 6600gt anyway.

anyway like the others said. unless you are having major trouble with your card then dont mess with it. it is only a 20mhz gain.

WhiteX

I went for the overclocking path and had good results with the given hardware, but the choice is yours my young apprentice.