What's new

Geforce 2 Graphic Card

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Are the Geforce 2 Graphic cards out of date, they aren't good enough for gaming or emulating? What doyou think?

P.S. Coolicol the moderators are not warning me

Eagle

aka Alshain
They work fine for most stuff, but most people dont buy them new anymore cause the GF4 MX is just a cheap and better.

iq_132

Banned
Yup... GeForce 4 MXs are quite cheap. I have one, and am very happy with it. (I had a Radeon before)

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
yeah i'm so in love with my GF4 MX.. it's taken some heavy work off my processor allowing me to play some pretty demanding games (RTCW, PJ64, 1964, etc, etc..) :)

Josep

eyerun4phun
yea, as everyone has said, gf4 mx prices are dirt cheap;) and its not a terrible card, i mean the ti series of the gf3 beats it, but who's counting!:)

Eagle

aka Alshain
Basically, the Geforce 4 MX runs at the same clock speeds as the Geforce 2 MX, however the GF4 is still a GF4 chipset so it has all the added capabilities of the GF4 that the GF2 didnt have. Soooo, you will not see a speed increase from GF2MX to GF4MX but you will improve your graphics quality immensely.

Slougi

Eagle: you have it the wrong way around :) The gf4mx is way faster than a gf2, but has the same features.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Slougi said:
Eagle: you have it the wrong way around :) The gf4mx is way faster than a gf2, but has the same features.

You sure about that? It really doenst make sense that way cause a faster GF2 MX is a GF2 GTS or a GF2 Pro or a GF2 Ti. That really doesnt fit in with Nvidia's pattern. I'm not saying I absolutely correct, but it just doesnt seem to sound right.

Slougi

Well, I agree to that, but that's the way it is. A GF4MX460 for example is faster than a gf3 in a lot of games, except the newer dx8 ones of course.

RJA

The PC Wiz
Re:

Does a GeForce 4 MX have more advanced blending than a
GeForce 2 MX, or is it a "overclocked" GeForce 2 MX?

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
More advanced blending? LOL, it has more features such as Pure HW TnL, Lightspeed memory architecture II, Quincunx aa, and so on. MUCH MUCH MUCH better than any gf2 mx.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
slougi is correct here, geforce 4 MX series is definitely faster than the GF2/3 line of cards, but a bit shabby IMO because it lacks all of the additional features that the GF3/4 line provides over a GF2. So basicaly its nothing but a very very fast GF2.

crhylove

Banned
alpha is right on. he fails to mention specifically though that ANY mx is just plain not as good as ANY ti. this is a thing that carmack is mad about (the lead id programmer who created every quake engine and all the dooms, including the new doom 3), and with all rights. many people are running out and buying more expensive geforce 4 mx cards, when they lack many directx 8 and early 9 capabilities that are included in such fabulous cards as the geforce 3 ti 200 and 500.

if you want a bargain buy a gf3 ti.
if you want the best buy a gf4 ti.
i can't really recommend buying a mx in any scenario, other than if you have trouble finding a reasonably priced ti. but i'll solve that right now:

www.pricewatch.com

now go buy ANY ti! but be smart about it! :)