What's new

Flashed my BIOS, now 1964 crashes

tdg

I had 1964 running perfectly. I've got a simple Dell laptop (inspiron e1405) centrino duo, 1.6ghz, 1gb ram... Zelda OOT, SM64, and Smash Brothers are the games I play the most, and with the hires textures. Now, after flashing my BIOS last night because "i needed to update it" I cannot have hires textures. It crashes 1964 every time.
I can still use Rice Video 6.1.1 beta10 if I want, but I cannot have load hires textures or it will crash. Sometimes it loads the game, but with severe graphics glitches, and then it will either terminate the program on its own, or sometimes various error messages occur.

Quick recap:
-This ONLY happened after I upgraded my BIOS. Everything was fine before then.
-This is only with hires textures (I can play the games without them just fine)
-This is not an issue with me not knowing how to set it up - I am no tech expert, but I can follow directions, and I had 1964 running just dandy, with hires textures, no problems. This silly BIOS update somehow screwed it up. I havn't messed with anything else on my computer.

Any advice? This is a bummer, I really loved these games in hi-res!
(I applaud all you hires artists)

Iconoclast

You probably have an ATI Radeon card. Try using Rice's Video Plugin on Project64.

Edit: Also, the N64 has no BIOS. Did you think 1964 was an Xbox (etc.) emulator or something?

flow``

flow``
I highly doubt the bios is to blame for hi res textures crashing 1964. You might want to try:

Updating DirectX (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en) (Feb Runtime update)

Updating your integrated intel 945GM drivers (http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go!)

or.. the simplest thing to do to attempt to fix the problem, would be to uninstall/reinstall and configure 1964. I'd try this first, then shoot for the other two options.

If none of those things work, report back and we'll try to help you figure it out.

OP
T

tdg

thanks flow ` ` for the tips, I tried them, but still no luck.

I have never had trouble with 1964 before, and although it would seem strange my computer's BIOS is the culprit, it must be, because I updated it last night. I played my roms in hires earlier that day even. And after the BIOS update hires just doesn't work.
What a mystery. Games still work, I just can't have hires enabled anymore . .. .
I'm so frustrated

flow``

flow``
what version did you update from? do you remember?

Looking through the past few revisions:

Code:
A09
Fixes/Enhancements:
1. Fixed an issue that system intermittently hangs during boot up to DOS repeatly.
2. Updated Dell COPYRIGHT year to 2007.

A08
Fixes/Enhancements:
1. Added support for newer versions of the Intel processor.
2. Updated message prompt for unmatched adapter & battery.
3. Updated Computrace ROM to support under Vista.

A07
Fixes/Enhancements:
1. Thermal control enhancement.

A06 doesnt exist

A05
Fixes/Enhancements:
1. Support Microsoft Vista.
2. Support new processor.
3. Update DIPM default display text under BIOS Setup.
4. Enhance Diagnostics tools.
5. Update USB Wake Support BIOS help text message.
6. Add BIOS setup support for Blueray DVD drives.
7. Update wording for Computrace setup field.

A04
Issues Fixed/Features added:
1. Update the Intel bitmap logos for POST screen.

New features:
1. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor support.
2. Enable SATA drive DIPM function.

A03
Added support for new Intel processors

A02 doesnt exist

A01
Initial Release

Theres really nothing documented there that would make any real impact. Vista support and new processor support are the only two major benefits. If you really wanted to, you could roll back to a previous version (thought i'd be really suprised if that fixed your problem). It sounds like something on the software side, but I havent played around with n64 emulators in the last few years to give you any sort of advice on what the problem might be.

OP
T

tdg

I flashed back to my old BIOS, and the problem is still there. I guess it's coincidence about 1964. I am stumped!
Thanks for you help, flow, I appreciate it.
So strange though... it was working fine, and all the sudden, it crashes. I've made no changes to my system that I can possibly think of . . .

Iconoclast

You need to install a different emulator and use Rice's Video Plugin on that. This plugin is unstable on 1964 if you don't have an NVidia GeForce card.

OP
T

tdg

I'll try that, although it still doesn't explain why 1964 just "randomly" decided to stop working (with hires textures) for no apparent reason. I'd been using it with no issues for months.
And, unfortunately, as far as other emulators go - I have never got Project 64 to be stable on my computer, it will crash the game very quickly after loading it. Which is too bad, because it's one of the better emulators...
I just don't get what suddenly happened.

flow``

flow``
the e1405's come with integrated intel 945gm video.

Anywho, might as well get your bios back up-to-date. It's definitely something on the software side of things as expected, but quite hard to narrow down :S

Possibly trying rice's plugin with pj64 might be a working solution. If you've having problems with it, then it sounds like you might have some more serious software/virus/malware problems and could be time for a format :S