What's new

Emulation Question

Maleous

I really didn't know where to put this but I have a question.
I own a copy of Megaman Legends 2, and I recently dug up the old PS1 to play it, but it wouldn't run on it, the disk had scratches on it. :( I know you can make ISO files to play on your computer, but I can't make one of it b/c of the scratches. I can read the files on my computer, but when I try to make an ISO it fails.
Question: Is it legal for someone else to give me the ISO because I own a copy of the game?

OP
M

Maleous

Nvm, I just realized, I asked about backing up games, and that isn't alowed, so just lock it...

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Question: Is it legal for someone else to give me the ISO because I own a copy of the game?
No. You are entitled to a backup copy (or a backup image, either way) that you ripped yourself from the medium you own.

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
Yeah, where the 'backup' vs 'rip' line blur is with movies... I think its ilegal now to make copies of DVD's, even if you own it.

... Or can you still 'backup dvds legally?

Toasty

Sony battery
Backing up DVDs is still protected by fair use (in the US), however the ill-conceived DMCA (and similar laws outside the US) forbids you from circumventing the encryption algorithms used on most commercial DVDs. And you must decrypt a dual-layer DVD (which means most commercial DVDs) in order to shrink it to fit on a single-layer disc, which is the media most people use since blank dual-layer DVDs still are rather expensive. Technically, you can still legally archive dual-layer to dual-layer though, since the encryption is preserved on the copied disc and is never circumvented. Isn't the entertainment industry annoying?