What's new

DUMBIOS - BIOS dumping for dummies

winter_mute

Galactic FREAK
Here is another ~1.5MB package from me.

What is it?
DUMBIOS is utility for fast and easy BIOS dumping from PlayStation2 console to USB mass storage device.

Isn`t there already application for this?
Yup, there is - click here to see it… but it works only with 2 of my six usb devices, so I tune it up to work with all of them (even my 2GB Kingston`s USB2 pendrive), and should work with many more devices. Also… after tweeking usb device compatibility, I decide to put some other stuff to compilation so you can easily launch ELF executables (one homebrew game included), backup game saves, manage HDD, play MP3 and MPEG4 (DivX, XviD) files with it. At the end I make it easy to use so most things you can do by pressing one, two or three buttons :] For detailed instruction see included readme.

How to dump a BIOS?
a) preparation - download DUMBIOS utility, unpack it with 7-Zip, burn it to CD-R
b) starting up - boot burned CD on console with method of your choice (modchips and Swap Magic are supported & tested, but other methods also should work)
c) initialize usb device – press X, select `mass:/`, press SELECT
d) dumping - press /\ (triangle), and wait for process to finish.
For detailed instruction see included readme.

Any final word?
Yes, please. Any feedback is more then welcome, especially when it comes with info about compatibility (used console, boot method, usb devices). As you can see my Engrish is not so good so it anybody can`t look at it anymore, and would be so kind to correct it, I would be very grateful. Also if someone would like to translate readme to other languages, please do so, I`ll add new files to compilation and appropriate info (about translator) into all readme files.
All questions, suggestions and other feedback leave in this thread.

Last edited:
OP
winter_mute

winter_mute

Galactic FREAK
I really don´t think this is legal here...
Well, its not BIOS - its BIOS dumping aplication, and all things included in compilation are freeware... so I don`t think that there are any legal isues.

OP
winter_mute

winter_mute

Galactic FREAK
Yeah, i discussed it on staff forum and i think it´s OK.
Glad to hear that... but I didn`t expect other decision since the only right :] and legal way for owning PS2 BIOS (e.g. for backup or PS2 emulation purposes) is dumping it from console - and this compilation is for that.

I assume that you can have objection since this app requires modchip or SwapMagic, but those boot methods should be used for running homebrews - really great games (like Flashback, Beats of Rage or GeoTron) and helpful aplications (SMS, uLE, etc)... I made this compilation with intention of popularization those homebrews, not to support piracy of any kind.