What's new

Donkey Kong 64 - minor graphical issues

avengah

This isn't really important, but I was just wondering if there is a setting I can change to fix this. When I go into Snide's HQ and press A to bring up my blueprints, it shows as if I've got all of them, instead of just showing the ones I've got so far. Is there any way to fix this?

Also, the only way I can get the scene transition effects to work properly is to tick the box marked "Read every frame (slow!)". Is there a better way to do this? It's not slow, it works fine, but I'm just wondering.

I'm using Project64 1.6 with Glide64, by the way. The game's working pretty well for me, no major problems so far. Something weird happened while I was climbing a tree in Angry Aztec - the camera moved suddenly to a weird place and the screen froze, but when I jumped off the tree it returned to normal. Then I climbed the tree without problems. Thanks for your help!

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
what's with all the DK64 now a days?
seems like everyone is complaining about it but no body is doing a darn thing to try and resolve there own issues.

I use to be happy just to get past the opening movie let alone the first level.

Last edited:
OP
A

avengah

Well, I've found another bug but managed to fix it myself. In Gloomy Galleon, using Glide64 Napalm WX, it's impossible to photograph the fairy between the bars - the red frowny face is always there, and I've tried without success. However, upon changing to Jabo's 1.6, it works fine!

Does anyone know why the video plugin would make this banana fairy impossible to catch?

Of course, I'll go back to Glide, as in general it does a better job than Jabo's plugin (transparency effects work better, etc.)

EDIT: ...and now the blueprints are displaying correctly in Glide! They worked fine in Jabo's plugin too.

Last edited:
OP
A

avengah

Yeah, Glide runs the DK Arcade and Jetpac games pretty well, but Jabo's won't run DK Arcade, and no text is displayed in Jetpac.

Dammit, the blueprints aren't displaying correctly again in Glide. Oh well, it's not important really. I wonder why it worked before? Maybe it had something to do with me being in Gloomy Galleon...

OP
A

avengah

Why would I want to do that? I'd have two carts of it then! One's enough. I just felt like playing it on my PC instead. Anyway, I've completed it 101% now, including collecting all 949 Banana Coins, so I'm happy.

I think the reason why DK64 has suddenly become all popular again is this: Rare have brought Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie back out again, so people are getting back into 3D platformers. After completing the two Banjo games, people want more, so DK64 gives them that fix! It really is an outstanding game, so much stuff to collect, so many bonus minigames, etc. I slightly prefer Banjo-Tooie because of the masterpiece of a level, Grunty Industries, and the way the levels intertwine so well, but DK64's a close second, with Banjo-Kazooie in third because it's a bit simplistic, not enough to do.

EDIT: Another reason I wanted to play it on my PC is so I could mess about with the multiplayer. I've only got one pad for my N64.

Last edited:

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
Well, I've found another bug but managed to fix it myself. In Gloomy Galleon, using Glide64 Napalm WX, it's impossible to photograph the fairy between the bars - the red frowny face is always there, and I've tried without success.
If you have a save state from that place, I can check it.

General note: if you found new bug in Glide64 and want it to be fixed, report about it:
http://code.google.com/p/glidehqplusglitch64/issues/list

OP
A

avengah

OK, I'll have to play through the game to get to that point again, so give me a few days and I'll provide a save state. Do you know why it's displaying all the blueprints instead of just the ones I've collected? I'll provide a state for that too if you like. Thanks!

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
As I remember, I fixed the blueprints years ago. Strange, that the problem raised again. Yes, I'd like to get a save for this problem too. Thanks in advance :)

OP
A

avengah

OK, I've done the first save state for you. Something's not right - it won't let me upload it for some reason. Every time I try to attach it, it says "upload failed". I thought it might have been an invalid extension so I renamed it, but it still won't work. What should I do with it?

Anyway, I'm in Jungle Japes, in Snide's HQ with Donkey, with the blueprints being displayed. Donkey has just given Snide his first blueprint, and Diddy's got his blueprint but hasn't given it to Snide yet. Therefore, only the top left yellow blueprint should be displayed. If you leave, swap to Diddy and re-enter, you'll have the top left yellow and the left red blueprints too. However, all the blueprints are displayed on the screen.

This isn't specifically DK64 related, but there's another thing I've noticed. When I load Project64 and any game, using Glide64 Napalm WX, often it runs slowly and jerkily. However, if I save state, press F1 to reset, wait a few seconds then reload the state again (or even if I just press F1 to reset), it speeds up considerably and runs nicely. I don't suppose you know what that's all about?

The second state of me in Gloomy Galleon will be ready as soon as I get there. Thanks!