What's new

Dolphin bug...

raid517

Hi, whenever I try to change any settings in Dolphin (Options/Settings) the 'apply' button is always greyed out, so I cannot do this.

Also, its possibly not a bug but I have an AMD based system (2800 Barton @2300MHZ) with 1Gig of 433MHZ Ram, which to most itents and puroses s plety fast enough, but Dolphin seems to take up all of my avaiable CPU cycles, no matter how small the game I'm running may be. (CPU cycles are always maxed out at 100%). Is this normal, or is there any way to improve efficency? I assume that this is due to the difficulty of emulating such powerful hardware in software, but all the same, I haven't heard anyone else reporting this issue.

Also, a lot of the games I have will not display anything, even though I can often see a reasonable FPS count. I assume that this is because Dolphin is perhaps using NSTC ouput - and many of these games are using Pal output. Is it possible to have a simple option for Dolphin to switch between different display formats in order to be able to display games that use either Pal or NSTC? I guess at least this way it is one other option we could try in order to try to get games to work properly.

GJ

ector

Emulator Developer
Sorry but you're mostly talking nonsense. Dolphin supports both PAL and NTSC. But it isn't very compatible with games yet.
Since Dolphin doesn't contain any speed limiting yet it will consume every available cycle, and most games won't be going fast enough on your computer anyway yet.
The apply button is greyed out yeah but the OK button will apply your settings AND close the dialog. Gonna fix that in the next version probably.

OP
R

raid517

Don't know if its nonsense, its just what I found when I tried it. I have noticed that sometimes when I try to play NSTC videos on my DVD player I just get a blank screen - so I assumed because I was seeing a FPS count, that maybe I should be seeing something.

Like you said about the CPU cycle thing, that's real enough... I wonder what system would you recommend if I want to run Dolpin smoothly? How about a fast AMD 64 and some extra Ram, would that be likely to help much? Or would all the CPU cycles still be consumed? (I assume from what you sair that they would be).

And yeah I just wondered about the apply button, I just figured that it must be there for a reason.

I know it's early days - and I just want to say great work so far! But I wonder, won't it be quite some time yet before computers are powerful enough to run a Gamecube emulator at or near native speed? Or do you have something in mind that will give you a way round this?

GJ

FiRES

Emulator Developer
it is impossible to say what system you will need to emulate a GC fullspeed.

cheers
F|RES

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
As stated, there probably is no specs available to make the emulator run at a decent speed.
About your ntsc/pal output...you're talking nonsense :p
Computer screens do not use PAL/NTSC coding. They're not using any of these. So the emulator does not output to any of these. It's just that the emulator isn't very compitable that you're not getting a picture.

Oh and the reason NTSC videos won't work on a PAL player is that it's region coded and when the player detects it's NTSC, it refuses to run it.

Cheers.

OP
R

raid517

Well like I said I didn't know I just reported what I saw - and just saying to people your talking nonsense it at least a tad rude. I'm happy to be corrected - but I don't like to be made to feel like a dumbass just because I don't quite know how something works yet. I think you know you could have worded it a little better.

As for full speed GameCube games I would have been happy to throw a high end Athlon FX system together just to test - if I thought it would work - however doing some research around the web I have come to believe that this task is not so easy - and that it may be many years before you can emulate the Gamecube accurately. While many of the software hurdles appear to have been overcome - it seems that we are now just waiting for the harware to catch up. At the current rate of progress, I think we may be in for a very long wait indeed.

Anyway as I said I admire your work - even if you do seem a little on the techy side - and in this regard I wish you good luck for the future.

GJ