What's new

Dolphin and warp-pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViperK8B

Gamecube Fanatic
does anyone think it would be possable in the future of this emulator to use warp-pipe (online program for gamecube) with dolphin? :huh:

JinXD

ViperK8B said:
does anyone think it would be possable in the future of this emulator to use warp-pipe (online program for gamecube) with dolphin? :huh:
Your jumping the gun, neither Dolphin or the warp-pipe project are advanced enough. Eventually I'm sure that Dolphin will have online play features, but I'm sure that is a long LONG way off.....

spyro32

SSBM and Kingdom Hearts fan
ViperK8B said:

when dolphin is nearly completed i think dolphin will make its own online program rather than using the warp-pipe(its just a maybe so dont ask the emu author to make it)

I'm sure that Dolphin will have online play features
i think dolphin will make its own online program
Dolphin will never have anything like this ... ever ... ever!! ... i'm so sure of it. how many emulators are out there that support networked gaming? ... Gameboy Advance is supposed to be made for network gaming and it's still pretty much impossible to do it on that platform ... don't even dream of this ever happening on the Dolphin. if the authors are reading this, please back me up!

JinXD

SoberAnalyst said:
Dolphin will never have anything like this ... ever ... ever!! ... i'm so sure of it. how many emulators are out there that support networked gaming? ... Gameboy Advance is supposed to be made for network gaming and it's still pretty much impossible to do it on that platform ... don't even dream of this ever happening on the Dolphin. if the authors are reading this, please back me up!
Pessimism won't get you anywhere!! Nice to hear your opinion, but asking for the Dolphin authors to back you up sounds lame....

spyro32

SSBM and Kingdom Hearts fan
SoberAnalyst said:

remember its a maybe but dont say its impossible.maybe dolphin can be made for network gaming.(like i said earlier,dont ask the emu author to do network gaming)your asking the authors to back you up?
SoberAnalyst said:
don't even dream of this ever happening on the Dolphin
instead of that why not dont ever dream about this ever happening on this thread :p :p :whistling

jareg

Just A Guy
SoberAnalyst said:
Dolphin will never have anything like this ... ever ... ever!!

And you from all the people know that ;).But if it is your opinion then ok.I on the other hand will wait until GameCube emus get more efficent you know :whistling

i know a heck of alot more about programming than anyone else (anyone who's arguing this so far) ... so it's my educated statement that Dolphin will not be enabled for networked gaming ... even if the author promised it would ... it won't!! ... you would have to emulate the protocol, establish a service (server(s)), handle the timing issues (because everyone's computer is running the emulator at different speeds) ... those 3 reasons alone makes it impossible. if it was just 1 reason, i would say it would be a long shot ... but no ... it's impossible ... i only had to list 3 reasons and i hope everyone can come down from their clouds back into reality.

P.S. emulating and handling the emulated protocol would probably be as big a task as emulating the Gamecube period. (that's my opinion)

or maybe i'm completely wrong ... is there anyone who's more qualified here to say otherwise?

Last edited:

jareg

Just A Guy
SoberAnalyst said:
i know a heck of alot more about programming than anyone else (anyone who's arguing this so far)

Thats lame :getlost:

SoberAnalyst said:
or maybe i'm completely wrong ... is there anyone who's more qualified here to say otherwise?

Qualified :huh:
And you are so smart and great and you know everything about GC emulation in and out ;)

Dysprosium

Graphics Designer
SoberAnalyst said:
i know a heck of alot more about programming than anyone else (anyone who's arguing this so far) ... so it's my educated statement that Dolphin will not be enabled for networked gaming ... even if the author promised it would ... it won't!! ... you would have to emulate the protocol, establish a service (server(s)), handle the timing issues (because everyone's computer is running the emulator at different speeds) ... those 3 reasons alone makes it impossible. if it was just 1 reason, i would say it would be a long shot ... but no ... it's impossible ... i only had to list 3 reasons and i hope everyone can come down from their clouds back into reality.

P.S. emulating and handling the emulated protocol would probably be as big a task as emulating the Gamecube period. (that's my opinion)

If you know so 'much' about programming, go put it to use. Help the Gamecube emulation scene, just don't sit there and complain, and be pessimistic.

Dolphin will most likely ( if the project doesn't stop. ) get networking at some point in time. Might be a long time though, but we can only hope. Emulating the Gamecube might be a big feat, but don't doubt emulator coders. They can do some amazing things. ( IE. A PC mouse emulating a SNES mouse. )

i will offer my skills, after i get a job and fulfill my own needs. i'd hate to be the one who's pessimistic ... but i'd like to add something else ...

Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube all said their systems would have advanced networking support with games and that everyone was going to be online gaming ... their services proved to be more complicated and harder to impliment. The gamecube is there ... it can be copied ... the BIOS can be ripped ... but a Gamecube networked gaming service has it's logic stored on the server ... it would have to be a task that's created from scratch by the Dolphin team. they would have to grapple tasks much larger than what the Gamecube team had to do ... legal and technical, might i add. as we know with N64, a game can be running at 60FPS ... then a loading of a new character of an event can trigger a second of 5FPS ... what if the games are networked and one emulator on 1 machine runs 60FPS and another emulator on a 2nd machine runs at 5FPS for 1 second ... how are the games supposed to syncronize? ... this is not even a problem that the Gamecube team had to deal with ... Gamecube's are all the same, they will all run at the same speed and the games run with no bugs ... it would have to be a much more advanced service than what would need to be suitable for the Gamecube and they would have all these problems to deal with ... not to mention others mentioned in my previous post and even more i won't even bring up (legal and other techincal) ... there's just no way it would happen ... it would be a highly commited, majorly long and gruling task that would end in failure.

i could be wrong, prove me wrong!

jareg

Just A Guy
SoberAnalyst said:
i will offer my skills, after i get a job and fulfill my own needs. i'd hate to be the one who's pessimistic ... but i'd like to add something else ...

Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube all said their systems would have advanced networking support with games and that everyone was going to be online gaming ... their services proved to be more complicated and harder to impliment. The gamecube is there ... it can be copied ... the BIOS can be ripped ... but a Gamecube networked gaming service has it's logic stored on the server ... it would have to be a task that's created from scratch by the Dolphin team. they would have to grapple tasks much larger than what the Gamecube team had to do ... legal and technical, might i add. as we know with N64, a game can be running at 60FPS ... then a loading of a new character of an event can trigger a second of 5FPS ... what if the games are networked and one emulator on 1 machine runs 60FPS and another emulator on a 2nd machine runs at 5FPS for 1 second ... how are the games supposed to syncronize? ... this is not even a problem that the Gamecube team had to deal with ... Gamecube's are all the same, they will all run at the same speed and the games run with no bugs ... it would have to be a much more advanced service than what would need to be suitable for the Gamecube and they would have all these problems to deal with ... not to mention others mentioned in my previous post and even more i won't even bring up (legal and other techincal) ... there's just no way it would happen ... it would be a highly commited, majorly long and gruling task that would end in failure.

i could be wrong, prove me wrong!

Ok :)

Knuckles

ok, enough shit like this! To reply to the MAIN post, it might be possible but don't expect anything like this sooner.

SoberAnalyst , you really doesn't seem to understand each consoles, N64 wasn't made for online gameplay, that's the reason why it's almost impossible to get "real" fully working netplay, for the GC , some games are/will be done to work with online netplay, the emulator will have to take those info and send it to the other client (just like Kaillera) to the other PC emulator that will handle it like it should be.

now, to avoid too much "off-topic" like "my dad is stronger then your!", this thread is now

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.