What's new

Difference between REV releases???

rodzandz

I'm sorry people...
Don't want to sound too ignorant here but..

What is the difference between so many Revision releases?
What the difference from let's say REV438 and REV2498?

I mean from 438 to 2498 seems like a whole lot of progress should have been achieved...

But in practice they seems exactly the same. The same games that were broken on 438 are still broken in 2498, the emulation speeds are the same, the menus and plugins seem the same, no new games are working, games without sound are still without sound etc...

Is there some place where we can see what changes/upgrades each rev. release brings to the table?

DjPong

Just imagion a house with bricks. Every brick counts for a revision. So if you have 438 bricks against 2498... Well the 438 is still a ruin and 2498 is becoming a nice decent wall.

So when you use a higher revision, the games you want to play, will have alot more things working/stable/faster. (unless they messed it up :p)

About the "I dont see any changes";

There are, if you look really closly. Zelda Twilight Princess used to have like 10 FPS (speed) using a lower Rev. With the newest I have around 23 now. And in older an older Revision there wasnt "fog" now in the newest release (using the OGL plugin) there is fog being emulated.

So if you really want to know what the developers are doing, take a look at the link diablow gave and see what they are doing/fixing.

Last edited:
OP
R

rodzandz

Thanks! Great answers guys!

I'm just not used to seeing such open endedness in emulator releases.
Usually it takes months (in some cases years) for developers to release updates for their emulators.

With Dolphin it seems that each Dev immediately releases a new REV for each change they make, no matter how big or small.

Thanks again for clearing it up.

P.S. Oh, and that's a great link BTW. Exactly what I was looking for!

DjPong

I'm just not used to seeing such open endedness in emulator releases.
Usually it takes months (in some cases years) for developers to release updates for their emulators.

I prefer it this way.. I'm waiting for a PS emulator release for 1 year already. There is not a single sign of any progress. "Maybe the creator died" posts you get and this made most members leave the board I used to visit. Yeah, I'm one of them that left also.

Now you can see progress, what people are doing, get in to SOME coding and when you should upgrade your emulator with a new revision beause a new feature you where waiting for is implemented :)

p_025

Voted Least Likely to Succeed
That's not fair. A LOT of nice progress has been made. There is a TLB hack adding compatibility for a shitload of titles, and then general compatibility has also improved. I remember just a couple hundred revisions ago I could only get into James Bond NightFire's title screen and intro movie. Now I can play through what looks to be a good chunk of the game. They've been working hard on this thing and it's definitely beginning to show.

Xtreme2damax

Also try and play Resident Evil Remake or Resident Evil Zero in the last official Dolphin releases, and then try to play them in the new Svn builds..

Also graphics in Resident Evil 4 (GCN and Wii) are visible and you can get ingame despite the game crashing in the inventory, map, treasure and file screens.

General compatibility has improved quite a bit and continues to improve with development even if it isn't immediate.

I think the improvements will be immediately noticeable. Also the Svn builds have support for Wii games and basic Wiimote emulation. You can hook a Wiimote up to your PC to use with Dolphin as well.

Also the x86 build is much faster than the last official 1.0.3 release of Dolphin, and speeds are quite good with games provided that you also have a fairly decent processor.