What's new

Crackly sound

Nifty

Is it normal that when I play games I still get "cracks" in the sound now and then. Some games are worse than others. Mario64 almost nothing, Mariokart a little bit, Zelda:OOT still some more ... It also seems like the problem is bigger when there is more action on the screen.
I use shibo's sound plugin which came standard with 1964. I tried other plugins but they just don't work in 1964, don't know why.
I also tried PJ64 and then I also get that cracky sound.

Is there a solution? Or can't this be fixed?

I use oboard sound.

ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD AthlonXP 2800+
1024 MB DDR400
Radeon 9600XT
Windows XP

So I guess it's not the system that's too slow... :ermm:

gandalf

Member ready to help
Well,first,unninstall the Emu,and reinstall it.
Well,my other suggestion,it´s to know your chipset

Nightmare666

I didnt really felt like creating another Thread since my Problem is somewhat similar.

I've tried that but it kept freezing my comp and sometimes rebooting which is bad.Must be some Computer Issue or some crap.

Which is the best Audio Plugin?

revl8er

That Damn Good
It's probably a tie between jabos and schibo's. You might also wanna give azimers plugins a try if you don't have a fast pc.

Nightmare666

well I've tried the latest beta of the Azimer Plugin "I think it was the Azimer" and theres was no sound coming out.

hrm Jabos? I thought those only worked on PJ64.

Hey that sure was the quickest reply I've ever saw.

Clements

Jabo's DirectSound is the most accurate IMHO (since it is a Low-Level plugin), and does not crackle (at least it shouldn't) when "sync audio to gameplay" is checked in the audio configuration. It's flawless on my computer with a 3200+. Jabo's needs an RSP.dll to work, and PJ64's RSP.dll is the most compatibile. You shouldn't need to use a fast plugin like schibo's which is innaccurate (since it's based on UltraHLE and is HLE) unless you have a slower computer.

Edit: looks like schibo's would in fact be better for you with a '600 something' processor, Jabo's might be too slow for your comp.

Last edited:

Nightmare666

Thats weird..I cant find the rsp file.

EDIT:Oh DLL! I thought it was the extention. :p

Even More Edit:Hrm..Even with the RSP I cant get any sound. :(

Thanks for the infos Clements but I still cant get it to work. :(

Last edited:

minkster

Nightmare666 said:
Thats weird..I cant find the rsp file.

EDIT:Oh DLL! I thought it was the extention. :p

Even More Edit:Hrm..Even with the RSP I cant get any sound. :(

Thanks for the infos Clements but I still cant get it to work. :(

Make sure that you go to plugins then change plugins and select at the bottom rsp emulation plugin. if u still dont get sound go to rsp settings and uncheck send audio lists to audio plugin ( i think )

rcgamer

the old guy
did you turn off 1964 and then turn it back on? if you didnt turn it off when you moved the rsp it wont show till you turn it off and back on.

Nightmare666

crap now I feel like a noob.I never knew there was a RSP Plugin selection thing.

It's working,Kinda cracklin' but theres gotta be some tweaking to do.

Thanks for everything.You guys rock.

By the way a chatroom would be nice. :)

Vassago

Hey guys!

I was having this same problem. I looked around the web for a solution until I found this forum. Thanks to everyone's suggestions and searching this forum, I've found a good configuration with absolutely no crackly sounds so far. Thanks!

My Solution:

Audio: Azimer's Audio v0.40 Beta2
RSP: RSP Emulation Plugin (from Project 64)

For Audio settings, I checked "Enable Audio Fix", "Sync Gameplay to Audio", and "Use v0.21 style Audio" and used the default buffer size.

For RSP settings, I checked send Display Lists to Graphics Plugin and used the "Recompiler" Cpu Core Style.

I used many different configurations with many different plugins and found this one to be top notch. So far, NO crackling. Thanks again! Glad I was able to find such a great Forum.

Vassago

OP
Nifty

Nifty

Wow great Vassago, it really works fine now!
Thank you very much.
Not one crack anumore:) (at least not in Zelda:OOT, haven't tried the others yet)

I also tried Azimer's Audio v0.50 Beta2 but I think the 0.40 version is still a little better. v0.50 can't be configured yet too.

:1964:

Vassago

Nifty said:
Wow great Vassago, it really works fine now!
Thank you very much.
Not one crack anumore:) (at least not in Zelda:OOT, haven't tried the others yet)

I also tried Azimer's Audio v0.50 Beta2 but I think the 0.40 version is still a little better. v0.50 can't be configured yet too.

:1964:

Glad to hear it helped! Did you try my solution Nightmare666?

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Clement, Jabos RSP+Jabos sound works, but sync to audio doesn't work with 1964, however amizers sync does indeed work...

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
It's important 2 that the frame skipping is disabled, cause it results in a cracky way sometimes, too.

desertboy

Xbox N64 Emulation Fanatic
Clements said:
The sync works for me, no crackles in the notorious for crackling OoT.

I know this is slighty off topic but I played OTT from start to finish on Surreal64 using Azimer's plugin not a single crackle or skip.