What's new

Converting something to PSX assembler code.

sb iq

Is there a program out there that can convert some piece of data into assembler code for the Playstation? I know such programs exist for the N64, but are there any for the Playstation?

Thanks.

Cyberman

sb iq said:
Is there a program out there that can convert some piece of data into assembler code for the Playstation? I know such programs exist for the N64, but are there any for the Playstation?

Thanks.
You should be more specific in what you want to do.
For example if I wanted to buy a honda. The salesman just MIGHT have a few questions .. think carefully before you ask a question, what might make perfect sense to you might not make sense to anyone else, because all the important details.. are in your head not in the question.

So try being specific, people can answer specific questions more easily :D

Cyb

OP
S

sb iq

Something like the programs described here, but for the PSX instead.

Someone told me that each and every type of processor uses assembly code which can be viewed with a hex editor, but that the code was different for each type of processor. I was told that this is because each type of processor uses a different function.

I was wondering if there was a program out there where I can input some random hex data, run it through the program which contained the function that the PSX processor uses, and would give an output based on the data that I put through the function.

Cyberman

sb iq said:
Something like the programs described here, but for the PSX instead.

Someone told me that each and every type of processor uses assembly code which can be viewed with a hex editor, but that the code was different for each type of processor. I was told that this is because each type of processor uses a different function.

I was wondering if there was a program out there where I can input some random hex data, run it through the program which contained the function that the PSX processor uses, and would give an output based on the data that I put through the function.
Yophar's doshmaim!
Ok .. enough wise cracks :D

Well Pixel on romhacking made a PSX debugger. However here is the reality what you are asking for is not as simple as you think it is :)

A dissassembler shows what an opcode (IE the numerical representation of an instruction) is in assembly for that particular processor. An assembler takes assembly instructions and converts them into instructions that the processor can execute. IE one takes a sequence of instructions appart (disassembler) and one puts them together (assembler). Make sense?

Cyb

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
i wouldnt recommend what youve just described, i imagine the PSX is simular to the PS2 in a lot of ways and finding what does what can be difficult, plus putting in random hex data is suicide ;p

if you want to give it a go anyway you could use ps2dis099_23 which contains ps1 maps so you know what opcode is what in the elf.

alternatively if you wish to write your own programs, you would need a psx dev kit which will convert C code into PSX native code (it will be compiled on your pc and need transferring)

the only other solution really is to read in to the R3000 processors opcodes to find out what they are and what they do and look at some elfs or make some small examples.

OP
S

sb iq

Thanks for the program, refraction.

This is both a disassemler and assembler all in one program, right?

There are 2 boxes when I start up the program. Which part is the disassembler and which part is the assember?

Am I right in assuming the top part is the disassembler and the bottom is the assembler?

Sorry if my question sounds stupid, it's just the zip file didn't include a FAQ or Readme text.

Also, how do I select data so I can copy and paste it into a text file?

Last edited:
OP
S

sb iq

I read somewhere about a program called LemAsm that has an MIPS assembler. I downloaded the program and the readme was very vague.

I know how to get to the disassembler part of the program, but how do I get to the assembler part?

I assume this program is popular since I read about it in a beginner's PSX hacking doc.

Last edited:

Cyberman

I suggest starting with the PSX SDK that was made using the gnu assembler. It's not exactly an easy thing to use but hey you might be able to get a demo to work, and there is some info still out there about programing the Playstation. As for a disassembler. Hmmm you probably are expecting a bit much from such a tool. However if you don't try you won't learn anything so experiment and ask questions :)

Cyb

OP
S

sb iq

Where would I get the PSX SDK (other than trying to buy a Sony Net Yaroze which is near impossible)?

OP
S

sb iq

I was lurking around other message boards and heard of a program called SPASM which is a PSX Assembler. I tested it on my old computer at home and it ran.

However, I tested it on my dorm computer (I live in a dorm most of the time), and I get an error "Load error: no DOS memory".

How do I fix this problem?

OP
S

sb iq

The text files that came with the program do not have any email addresses or contact information. >_<

However, when I ran it on my old machine it mentioned that I had something like an "Extended Memory Driver" installed. I don't know where I can get that, or how to install it.