What's new

Click clickity pop pop click

Mozgus

No matter what I do, I just can't get the audio in any N64 emulator to sound decent. Is this just normal? Is this how you guys play these games? I have very high specs. I've tried PJ64 as well. I've tried every highly rated plugin. I've tried defragmenting. I've tried every logical option in the audio settings. I've tried expanding my PCI Latency for my Audigy 2 card. No matter what I do, I still get these annoying pops and clicks in nearly every sound effect in every game. A good example, is when you hit start in the title screen for OoT. It does that short little bbbBBBBB-RING! noise, and the sound for it almost always plays all mangled, as if the emulator couldn't load the sound fast enough.

If it helps any, texture packs make this problem about 3x as bad, even when I host the textures and plugin directory on a seperate hard drive.

Please help me if this is a fixable issue.

TremLuke

Thomas
what are you specs?

then what are your specs. ushally slow computers running buggy with sound enabled on. well not buggy more like the sound just doesn't seem to fit in

OP
M

Mozgus

then what are your specs. ushally slow computers running buggy with sound enabled on. well not buggy more like the sound just doesn't seem to fit in

Code:
    * Samsung 740B LCD Monitor
    * Antec Super Lanboy case
    * Antec TruePower 2.0 550w
    * Asus A8N5X Socket 939
    * Athlon 64 3700+
    * Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro
    * eVGA Geforce 7600GT
    * Zalman VF700 VGA Cooler
    * Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS
    * 1.5GB of Corsair DDR400 running in Dual Channel
    * Two Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM S-ATA HDDs
    * One Maxtor 60GB 7200RPM IDE HDD
    * One Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM IDE External Backup Drive
    * NEC Black IDE DVD±RW ND-3520AW
    * NEC Black Floppy Drive FD1231H-302
    * Logitech MX510 Red Optical Mouse
    * Micro Innovations Keyboard
    * Two Playstation Dual Shocks with USB Adaptors
    * Vintage Marantz Stereo Reciever
    * Two Optimus 200watt Tower Speakers
You could try a different audio plugin, such as azimer's
You could try to read the threads you post in, such as this one.
(I knew I was going to get this response.)

Clements

I don't get any pops and clicks on either of my computers using PJ64+Jabo's sound plugin+Sync audio to game.

Cheezyphil

megahuge gaming bwner
Off-topic:
Go Athlon!

It seems like your problem is the generic lag that most people get when using a slow comp. It probably is something that's wrong with the sound-card-thingy itself

OP
M

Mozgus

I don't get any pops and clicks on either of my computers using PJ64+Jabo's sound plugin+Sync audio to game.
Do you actually have a sound system capable of hearing them? I just find it hard to believe that N64 emulation magically works perfectly for other people. I've tried it on multiple computers. I always get the same result. I have the most finely tuned and cleaned WindowsXP installations you can imagine.

It seems like your problem is the generic lag that most people get when using a slow comp. It probably is something that's wrong with the sound-card-thingy itself
My system is faster than anyone else's who's posted in this thread thus far.

My sound card is the extremely popular and stable SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS, arguably the most popular in the entire Audigy line.

Newegg.com - Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS SB0350 Sound Card - OEM

300 reviews of it on newegg, alone.

However, if you guys would like, I can remove the card tonight, clean out the audigy drivers, install the newest AC97 onboard sound drivers, and see if I still have the problem.

Edit: Ok I tried it. Emulator still pops and clicks. What a waste of time.

Last edited:

Clements

Do you actually have a sound system capable of hearing them? I just find it hard to believe that N64 emulation magically works perfectly for other people. I've tried it on multiple computers. I always get the same result. I have the most finely tuned and cleaned WindowsXP installations you can imagine.

Well, I have the same audio card as you with 2.1 Altec Lansing speakers (analog). So yes.

OP
M

Mozgus

You guys...monitor refresh rate. Apparently, running a refresh rate that matches what a game normally runs at...is a bad idea? This is quite backwards, but going from 60 to 75htz got rid of 90% of the pops. Can anyone make sense of this?

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
yes.

theres a problem with nvidia drivers, which halve the FPS when the fps can't reach the refresh rate..

dunno why but upping it helps