What's new

Chankast Dead?

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
We all know there's been no news from chankast an well over a year now, so i am wondering, is the project dead? if it is dead i hope they release the source code so someone with enthusiasm for the project can improve it and make it great. does anyone know it's current status?

OP
Danny

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
thats even worse than it been dead, in my opinion. at least if the source was released there would be a chance that someone would work on it

STC-Fan

Dollop.
NeoRAGEx may not have been updated for ages (besides, in their last update, a "personal tragedy" was mentioned, which could explain part of this), but then there's always WinKawaks, MAME and possibly others.

Project Tempest is another emu I can think of that hasn't been updated for almost as long as Chankast, but then there's a good reason for that - the author (Ville Linde) is doing some work for MAME (and possibly MESS). But again, there's alternatives - OK, just the one, actually - Virtual Jaguar. (correct me if I'm wrong, but Jagulator hardly runs anything, and I can't think of any other emus).

Whereas with Chankast, the authors have said little on what's preventing them releasing a new version - and bear in mind there's no other DC emu that can run games, so no alternatives - leading everyone else to speculate, speculate, and speculate some more, on the matter. Speaking of which, here's another possible reason for no new releases: coder's block? (like writer's block, get it? *shot* =P)

flowrent

I think it's writer's block too ..They can't put a few words on their site saying "Hey, we're alive but Chankast is on hold " or something .
Or just a few words saying whatever ..,Chankast Rules ,Go Barcelona , I love Angelina or Make love not war .Anything ,god damn it !
That's a BIG writer's block case we have here.

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
Rockmangames said:
ChaosCode,

Heh, you never know. It could be that too. ;)

he meant apart from the chanka team ;)

anyway the project aint dead, i know there has been work on it recently, just very slowly. there is no point in speculating.

the show aint over till the fat lady sings ;) or at least the authors say its dead anyhoo lol

Limak-san

refraction said:
anyway the project aint dead, i know there has been work on it recently, just very slowly. there is no point in speculating.

the show aint over till the fat lady sings ;) or at least the authors say its dead anyhoo lol

nice talking...i hope you are right!!! i have my own Dreamcast since many years (shenmue ruuules XD ) and of course a dreamcast will not live forever.... Chankast is a hope for me!