What's new

Chankast crashes when loading image file

cuber3

I'm trying to load a game in chankast.
The image files are in cdi format, and i have burned them to a cd-rom on 4x speed with alcohol120%, although i've also tried mounting it with Daemon Tools v3.29
I set the drive options to the drive to the correct one containing the image, enabled the capcom hacks, and clicked run->start.
The dreamcast logo is displayed, and after that, the screen turns black, and Chankast crashes...

Could anyone tell me what the problem is, and how I can fix it ?
I have 1.25GB of RAM, an Nvidia GeForce4 graphics card (not that great, but all the drivers are upgraded and it can run Half-Life 2 on highest settings, and Doom 3 on medium settings, so it should be fine), A 2.7Ghz processor, Windows XP OS.
My PC has good enough specs to run Chankast, so that can't be the problem, and I know the cdi files aren't the problem either, because several other people have reported it to work fine with Chankast...

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
A GeForce 4 isn't good enough for Chankast. Just because you can run a high-end PC game on it doesn't mean that it would also work perfectly in emulation; native PC games and emulation are two different things.

Besides, what game are you trying to run? The image might be corrupt too.

Last edited:
OP
C

cuber3

The game is Resident Evil - Code Veronica.
For some other people the game works fine, so it's not the image file..

Mouser X

Agozer said:
A GeForce 4 isn't good enough for Chankast. Just because you can run a high-end PC game on it doesn't mean that it would also work perfectly in emulation; native PC games and emulation are two different things.
While it is certainly very true that emulation and PC games are two very different things, I thought I should clarify that a GeForece 4 will run Chankast just fine. I have a GeForce 4, and play Skies of Arcadia on Chankast all the time. I've also played Ikaruga and a few others. As far as I've noticed, there's no reason to think that a GeForce 4 is insufficient for Chankast. It is possible that I'm missing some lighting effects, or something, but it's never been anything that Chankast has ever complained about. As such, I'm inclinded to doubt that the video card is the issue in this case (though it certainly could be, I guess).

Anyway, I felt that this information would be somewhat useful. So far, for me, everything I've tried to run has ran quite well on my GeForce 4 (except PCSX2). Project 64, Chankast, and tons of other things have worked great. Even PCSX2 runs, as long as I modify the settings, and change the plugins. Though, it runs horribly. And, not owning any games that it fully supports, I can't say for sure how well it's actually running. If I had the choice though, I'd get a new card, since many things require/work better with Pixel Shaders 2 or 3 (GeForce 4 has like, 1.3 or something).

Good luck getting this figured out though. Mouser X over and out.