What's new

Can i re-name my savefiles?

Changing the names of your savefiles

So, i have a couple of savefiles with messed up names, with capital letters and things like that. Is it possible to change their names, so i can give them some proper names instead?

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
No. Save files (in-game saves) take their name from the ROM internal name, and as such, renaming them causes the save files to be invisible to the game. You can rename savestes, although they use the ROM's internal name as defaul as well.

OP
U

Ultimatium

I see. I just tried to change the name of some of my savefiles, but that only made the savefiles disappear from some of my games. I guess i can change them back to their original names again, and they should work? Anyway, i have all my savefiles backed up on plenty of usb memory sticks, so no worries. Also, if i change the internal name of the rom, would that change name of the savefile as well? If that's the case, then i might have to do so.

Last edited:

Agozer

You really shouldn't rename the internal name of the ROM, as it will screw up booting in Project64. Unless you're willing to edit the RDB file as well. Some N64 tools can change the internal name, but I don't remember any specific program.

OP
U

Ultimatium

Well, as i said, the problem is that some of my roms have messed up names, which is probably why the names of my savefiles are messed up as well.

Last edited:

Allnatural

A "proper" name would be the GoodName (look up GoodTools if you're not familier).

A clean dump of Super Mario for the US would be: Super Mario 64 (U) [!]

OP
U

Ultimatium

I'd actually prefer the name to be super mario 64, and noting else. I already have a category in project 64 that says country, which shows the region of my games.

Last edited:

Agozer

IIRC, you can remove the Country column in Project64's ROM Browser if you feel like it.

OP
U

Ultimatium

Yes, but that's not what i want. It's the names of my savefiles that i want to change, and not the column in project 64.

Last edited: